My performance build....11.50's?????

Treymen

Donating Member
I have a good idea of what it's going to take to build this truck into an 11.50 or better street killer.

I would like some input from the guys that are already there if I need different or better parts.
Here's a basic rundown of the build. Just want to know if the performance parts I've decided on will work. Forged rods & pistons are a no-brainer!

First off, the truck is going on a diet of about 175lbs. That will be 275 once I figure out the best coilover setup later down the road.

Motor:
.030 over seasoned block. Cryo'd block and cemented bottom
All parts will be cryo treated btw.
Worked over L35's with 2.00 intake
Cam??? Haven't figured that out yet. Thoughts?
PTE-52 turbo????
Alky
A2A
60# injectors w/ code59
Electric fan & water pump
3" ATR catback dumped in front of axle w/ 3" dp

Trans:
Giving my trans builder 1 opportunity to build a bulletproof 700. He swears he can do it. We worked out a deal that if the trans go's within 2 yrs, he will pull the 700, build a TH350 and re-install all for the cost of only the parts that I choose. Seems like a fair deal.

HD fnt prop. Aluminum Rear shaft. Aluminum rear drums. Built Strange rearend. Mono springs w/ caltracs, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.

Any other suggestions from the guys running low 11's?

Sorry for the long post, but when it comes to this, I'd rather research, research, research and get it right the first time.....Thanks


Trey
 
Last edited:

JSM

Active member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

11.5 doable yes, but it will take having things right.

TH350 yuk, but it might work should the 700 or I should say when it blows up.
 

Injected1

Member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

I think it would be alot more doable with a 67mm and they are very streetable. You would want to go to a 3600 yank converter tho. It can be done with a 52mm but you will be running it hard and with your build a 67mm would be perfect and you won't have to run on the ragged edge.

As far as cam I would go with a comp 415 or a 422 however I hear the 422 is not as street friendly as the 415.

Injectors- 60's will work but once again you will be knocking on the limits with the above setup. I would personally go a bit bigger.

What do you plan on doing for a fuel pump? Weldon's are the way to go these days in my mind.

Good luck, I sure wish I had the time to work on mine like you do. I would have been done 3 yrs ago....LOL
 

Injected1

Member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

Oh and congratulations on getting it repaired so quickly.:tup::tup:
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

a good 62mm turbo will get you there with room to spare. The engine build is a part of the overall picture, but do not underestimate the value of a good tune.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

I think it would be alot more doable with a 67mm and they are very streetable. You would want to go to a 3600 yank converter tho. It can be done with a 52mm but you will be running it hard and with your build a 67mm would be perfect and you won't have to run on the ragged edge.

As far as cam I would go with a comp 415 or a 422 however I hear the 422 is not as street friendly as the 415.

Injectors- 60's will work but once again you will be knocking on the limits with the above setup. I would personally go a bit bigger.

What do you plan on doing for a fuel pump? Weldon's are the way to go these days in my mind.

Good luck, I sure wish I had the time to work on mine like you do. I would have been done 3 yrs ago....LOL


Cause you've driven your truck so many times:lol:
 

Injected1

Member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

Cause you've driven your truck so many times:lol:

Rub it in why don't you Mike. I will be driving it very soon.

Speaking of that how close are you to Littleton, Co?

Oh and Mike is right a 62mm would be closer to what you want than a 67mm and it would get you to low 11's pretty easy with a good tune.
 
Last edited:

autoaddictions

Active member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

Id like to see a bigger turbo than a 52mm.
#74 injectors good to 10.50s
Vortech heads stock be fine but A good set of L35 will work.
going to need a well built 700r4 to have any fun or you'll be sorry!!
Cam 415 or 422 be ok.
1.6 rockers
good boost controller!!
3000 stall converter at min.
I know this will cause a dispute but Id spend the money on a Stand alone ecm Big Stuff has a plug and play. Code 59 is not as easy to understand and most that dont have a firm grasp on tuning have had no success or short lived engines. There are some on the board that are very good with it like jeff scott. But if your not tight or live close to one of them your in trouble. At least most dyno shops are familiar with the mane company's. Acell, Fast, and Big3 at least help will be available.

Tuning is a huge part in building a sub 12 or 11 sec truck the parts are the easy part.

Good luck to ya
 

JSM

Active member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

I would agree with Frank in tuning is KEY. You could surely do it with a 52mm, hell I think you could with stock turbo and a good tune. You can also throw the best turbo in world on it and only go 14's also.

Get the system you have the most tuning support with. The fact is BS3, FAST, Code59, etc in terms of tuning are more similar than different. User interface sometimes is easier on some than others. In the end use what fits your budget and you feel comfortable with.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

I personally don't think you will max out a set of 63# injectors with a PTE 52. I would do a custom camshaft they are only like $50-60 more expensive than an off the shelf 415/422 cams that isn't optimized for turbo motor. Contact one of the vendors.
 

Treymen

Donating Member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

Good info.
As far as injectors go, I think 60's will be enough. If Josh Straub can run high 11's on stock injectors, I'm thinking 60's will work for me.
Tuning will be done by GNNW until I get it figured out.
Is a 62mm still streetable? How's the spool time? I really don't want to go more than a 3k stall.
I know I know, cake and eat it too!
 

Treymen

Donating Member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

Cryo'd block and all internals? DAMNNNNNN somebody is spending some jack!!!!!!:tup:

I got no other hobbies to spend $$$ on. Bikes are gone, comic collection is gone, drinking has lightened up. Might as well spend it on the truck....:rotf:
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

Good info.
As far as injectors go, I think 60's will be enough. If Josh Straub can run high 11's on stock injectors, I'm thinking 60's will work for me.

He was pouring/injecting in a lot of methanol also.

Get a BB turbo, in general, if will allow you to run a lower stall converter.

As far as cams go. Go custom

215 degrees duration @ .050 intake & exhaust, L35 heads really do not flow more over .500" lift, so keep it about .500" lift.
I like a wide lobe center of 116 , or even wider
Camshaft will depend on what compression you are ending with.
I would also like a little bit more compression in it, 8.75-9.0:1. That's up to you though. You are going w/a larger than stock camshaft, (bleeds off cyl pressure) better intercooler, typically lower intake temps, running methanol injection,almost like running race gas, plus you are going to stay on top of the tune.

Stock, PAS made it so anyone can basically drive a Sy/Ty on pump gas,intercooler water pump only comes on w/high water temps? Basically not really cooling the intake temps,,, that is why the stock compression is low 8.4:1

Bumping up the compression will allow the turbo to spool up faster,, giving you more torque down low, that will in turn increase the stall, etc etc etc.

My A4 2.0T has 10.5:1 compression & I turned up the boost w/an APR adjustable chip, of course having the fuel injected directly into the combustion chambers allows for more static compression.

It's really responsive.
 
Last edited:

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

With a 2800-3000 stall converter, a 62mm turbo will be very responsive. BB turbos are not necessary to go fast (they are more expensive to repair/rebuild if they fail). Tuning is as important as all the hard stuff in the engine. The cam selection is a personal opinion. I did the 420 cam once, but my last two cams were custom-ground pieces (more aggressive than 422 and still very tame idle).

GL!
 

JSM

Active member
Re: My performance build....11.50's?????

I personaly like a stall around 3400 I did on my truck, hardman's typhoon and Jeremy's syclone. With a TCC drivability really is not a problem and you don't even notice it.

My personal feeling on a 412 cam would be this. Walk into a drag race with a 412 cam is like being a male porn star with a tool that is only 1" long.

422 cam doubles, maybe you could say triples that length but as others custom is good choice for very little more cash. They key there is know what you need, or find someone to spec what you need.
 
Top