How did you first learn about syty's?

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box
Just wondering how you guys found out about syty's?

I had heard a little about them, but like others I thought they were V8 RWD. I was searching around the internet looking for a fast GM product. I started looking at GTP's then realized they were too expensive. I then started looking at Xtreme's, but found out that the power to weight ratio was worse than my 1990 Z-24.

I was poking around searching for Xtreme performance products when I stumbled on a site that has a bunch of Syclone racing stories, and one just happened to be vs. a Xtreme. I read the other stories (even one about cracking a windshield from a launch), and was hooked. I found this site shortly there after.

FWIW this is the site I found: http://hometown.aol.com/gmcsyclone/what.html
 

J_SULLIVAN

A&P slave monkey
When i was a soph. in high school back in '93. Walked into the dealership and really learned about the Typhoon first and then the Syclone. Kinda backwards but it didn't matter cause I was a broke kid :lol:
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Got that little booklet about the Sy in the mail (came with a few others, talked about the history of different cars and the performance of them..ect. Alot of you guys know what I'm talking about.) And fell in love with it that second. Been trying to get one every sense.

There was a stock high milage Sy for sale in Orlando about 8 years ago that I was looking into but it either sold, or was a pos according to my old man at the time.
 

sy#2716

SyTy 4 Life
I learned about them when i was a Freshman in high school(back in 95), heard some of my friends talking about a blazer that was doing awd burnouts that had a turbo on it!!! Then I started to poke around on the internet and that is were my love came from reading the stores and also see what the capabilites of what they could do. Jpope
 

Loeryder

New member
1991 I was in High School and one of the rich kids dad had bought a Syclone.
Since the day I saw it up close I had to have one.

His got totalled the winter of 91, who would just let their kid take out there brand new Syclone for a joy ride?

I hated that kid, and for good reason...

Once I found out the Typhoon was a sport ute my mind was made up.
Just took me a few years to be able to afford one.
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
I first heard/saw the Typhoon on Truckin' USA back in 92/93 I guess it was.

I was hooked on the speed, looks and that leather interior. :wink:

I started researching them but found out that it was gonna be some time before I could afford one, so I went hunting for Grand Nationals for the time being.

Well by that time, college was also a concern and having a "commuter car" was the issue, something I felt the GN wouldnt be best for, so I ended up picked up a GTP to hold me over.

In my Soph. year of college, I decided I couldnt want anymore and really started to look again. June 1st, 2000, I bought #180 :)
 

Ty0279

Historically Significant
Knew about them ever since they came out back in '91/'92.

Syclone: A local body shop owner bought a new Sy back in '91. One day while riding with my dad the Sy pulled out in front of us from the parking lot and went WOT. My dad and I were like 'holy sh*t'! :eek: That truck is Sy #1657 and now belongs to Josh B.

Typhoon: I was a junior in HS when I saw a new '93 wht/wht Ty at a dealership in Pittsburgh, PA and couldn't believe how awesome it looked in person. That was my first experience with a Ty.
 

J_SULLIVAN

A&P slave monkey
Here's a twist... I wanted to drive a Syclone that was sitting at Ernie Miller GMC in Tulsa back in 95 and the guy said no unless your gonna buy it. Then he said I'll let you and your buddy sit in it. I ended up buying the same Syclone 4 1/2 years later! First Typhoon I ever saw and sat in was Bubba McDowells (Houston Oilers NFL) 92 Typhoon at the IASCA car/sound system show in Tulsa. Got those pics of me in that Typhoon protected :wink:
 

Stangbeater

How bout it?
Back in the day 1991, my mothers boy friend, was looking for a small pickup to daily drive. I went with them to look. I was only 14 then. I ran over to a Sy grabed a info sheet and must have look at that thing for a hour or two. They test drove it and loved it, but didn't want to spend the 26k, so they bought a sky blue 4 banger. I told my mom that I would own a Sy someday. She just laughed at me. I wish they would have bought the Sy, because I ended up buying the 4 banger from them. Son of a! Oh well. In 98 I drove to NJ and bought Sy 1664. I love it and will never get rid of it unless there is one waiting next to it for me.
 

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech
First vehicle was an 85' s-10 blazer 2.8l v-6 feedback carb, lowered 4inch., 15x8 black american racing wheels(NASCAR style) w/ 255/55r15 and white goodyear lettering, all white with black trim pieces and tan interior(only thing I disliked besides the motor). this blazer was so cool and i was stuck on the s-10 s-15 body style. now when i was a freshmen in high school, 1998-99, i recieved this blazer and being brought up around a car family emphasizing on power and performance, i stumbled on the great and mighty TYPHOON when looking for performance products on the internet for the blazer, I was Hooked! :D , my dad used to tell me stories about the SYCLONE when it came out in 91' and how he wanted one extremly bad. anyway i'm curently trying to sell my new truck to fulfill my dream at the tender age of 21.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
I knew of them, but didn't pay attention to what they could since it was a truck. A year later in 92, my friend in his high 13 sec mustang tangled with one in a street race, it was bone stock and my friend mustang GT got murder out of the hole by 5-6 truck lengths, it was the worst beating 0-60mph my friend ever took in a street race. I knew I had to have one someday.
 

Syclone#1992

SyTy.net Moderator
I accually found out from my uncle. I was around 15 and was looking for a sporty car/truck. He mentioned Syclones and Typhoons to me. I had no clue what they were. He said that they were similar to the Grand National and were really fast stock. He said I could blow the doors off most cars.

I looked it up on the internet that night and couldn't find anything. Come to find out I was spelling it with a "C" instead of an "S". So I looked and looked and looked on Autotrader and all over (syty.org, here and the local autotraders.) Finally found one where I would least expect. I found #1992 listed in the "free" auto magazines. Needless to say I called him up, and looked at the truck the next day, and ended up buying it.

I have owned it a little under 4 years now and never regret one day.
 

decipt808

New member
I wanted a blazer back in Junior High to make a lowrider and stuff. Then I saw 2 Typhoons in one day that had the best "Bodykit" that I saw for blazers at the time. About a year later, my friends dad moved back to Hawaii and brought his Typhoon back with him. He told me the differance between blazers and Typhoons and ever since then I wanted it. I begged him for the truck since I was 14 years old.

When I was 21, he gave the truck to his son and he ran that thing into the dirt. He was straped for cash and I offered to buy it from him. Now I have me the first Typhoon I ever rode in waiting for me as soon as I get back to Hawaii.

Now I need to clean it up and get it running right again :evil:
 

Boosted

New member
I have know about them since they came out, cause I was 17 -18 when they came out, and a certified car nut.....
Up until the week before nats of last year, I thought they were out of my league.
Family caused me to have to go to an SUV. :( Wifey said it had to be automatic. Lightbulb went off. :D I said if I had to have an automatic SUV, I was going to buy a typhoon. She said fine. She had no clue. If she had only known what I was getting in to, she woulda put the nix on it fast. :lol:
So a buddy and I drove 36 hours to and back to get my Ty.
Well worth it . :D
Now she is to the pint of hinting that if I found a SY cheap that I could drive daily, she would take over the Ty so we would have a matching set..... :eek:
Now I have to get finances in order to make that happen......
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Surfing Magazine, around 92..... had a quick blurb on how you can now drive 2 storms, the Syclone and Typhoon.

Kept it in the back of my mind on a wishlist of vehicles for years.... saw Typhoons everynow and then.... finally I dumped my 88 S10 for my Sy in 98 and started soaking in every aspect I could....been hardcore every since.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
dad bought a 4x4 s10 blazer, late in '90..

dealer mentioned something about a pickup coming out.. that was awd and fast.. i was very young.. 9-10 yrs old at the time..

much later in life (18) I saw one driving around locally.. remember what it was.. loved it ever since..

became my dream car.. or truck..

now i own both.. sy and ty. :D
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
I went to high school with Steve Dumlers son, and first saw their Ty in 1996. The gladding had just gotten painted to match the green of the truck. From the first time I ever saw it in the Putt-Putt parking lot, I knew I was going to have one of those.

It had chromed wheels and 2 gauges on the pillar - I thought they all came that way lol.

Bought mine on March 28, 1998 in Huntsville, AL.
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
I want to say early 91 (I remeber snow on the ground :) ) I rode in a Syclone with a friend of my dad's, who later became my boss.

He was always a big car guy - never kept them long either. I remember going for a few different rides and reading about them when I could. Everytime I would go to his store I'd go back and look at the Sy - it sat in a warehouse for most of its life. He held on to it for a couple years and finally sold it - he was looking to make money on the limited production thing - no luck with that. It probably sold with 1,000-1500 miles on it and never titled.

I've asked if he had any of the original info (window sticker)but he can't find it.
 

TYRODD

My ass. Look at it.
Well, about 5 years ago, my dad got the opportunity to drive his buddies typhoon that he had just picked up, my dad is a big musclecar guy and he was totally digging it :D . He went on and on about how bad it was and I wasnt really into cars back then (14 and no license).

Years past, got my first car, a '93 four door, 4X4, CMFI s10-blazer. I totally fell in love with it and the body style. Got the chiltons repair manual, remembered what my dad had said about the Typhoon. I read all I could about it from the manual, and future sightings of the Ty only sparked more interest. When I graduated, all I wanted was a V8 1st gen blazer, I had the idea that I would never own a typhoon, and wanted something similar.

Last year about this time, my dads friend stopped by my work, and asked my if I was Interested in his Typhoon, I was like how much?! :lol: It was great cause I knew hella more about it than he did. He is very thankfull of me to this day for taking it off his hands, he knew he wouldnt have take as great of care of it as I have!
 

ranmoore

New member
I remember reading about them in 91 but thought there was noway a truck could be worth 26k new. Early 92 I sold my 88 GT Mustang and was looking for something else to play with.
OF all things a friend working at a GMC dealership that sold the big GMC trucks told me I should look at the Syclones that they could not sell. One was thier demo truck and other was new. They wanted 20k for the new one so I bought the demo one for 17500 with around 7k miles on it. I never looked at the others vin number but I still have #166 with now 64k miles on it.
Truck looks terrible right now since I live in Iowa and drove it in the winter a couple years. Plan on buying almost all the sheetmetal new and repainting it next year.
I know when the Saudi trucks came back I could of got one of them cheap but cant remember how much.
I think its funny that the Syclone is again my daily driver since none of the other 5 cars i own are running at the moment.
 
Top