Flat black or gloss

Flat black or gloss

  • All gloss to include cladding

    Votes: 24 39.3%
  • gloss and flat black cladding

    Votes: 24 39.3%
  • all flat black

    Votes: 13 21.3%

  • Total voters
    61
  • Poll closed .

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Flat black or gloss

Do a search on Jason Thomas. He did his truck in flat black and it came out killer. At least you can see pics of his and determine if you like it. :tup:
 

mikew

New member
Re: Flat black or gloss

I dont like the flat black look thats all the rage, but its your truck do what you like and what you will be happy with.
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: Flat black or gloss

Have you seen pics of otther trucks with flat paint? I'm ambivalent.

Having seen everyone with all gloss trucks, I really appreciate the two tone black gloss/matte finish on a stock truck.

Matte paint seems to be popular on new cars or concept vehicles. Painting a Sy all matte may work but I wonder if it might be seen as trying too hard? Just a thought.

I do like it though.

Look at 92Ty LA's friend's (brother's?) recent truck. Was matte, now gloss. Came out great. I think it was him...

Looking forward to seeing pics when done!
 

ZavzTy547

Senior Member
Re: Flat black or gloss

Have you seen pics of otther trucks with flat paint? I'm ambivalent.

Having seen everyone with all gloss trucks, I really appreciate the two tone black gloss/matte finish on a stock truck.

Matte paint seems to be popular on new cars or concept vehicles. Painting a Sy all matte may work but I wonder if it might be seen as trying too hard? Just a thought.

I do like it though.

Look at 92Ty LA's friend's (brother's?) recent truck. Was matte, now gloss. Came out great. I think it was him...

Looking forward to seeing pics when done!

Ever looked into the metalic flat colors? I've seen a flat metallic red newer camaro that looked killer. . .
 

killa66cam

RIDIN DIRTY
Re: Flat black or gloss

I would go flat, or gloss with flat cladding. I like more contrast than just a solid color paint job...if you are going to have it painted. If I do a solid color on my Ty, it will at least have a carbon fiber hood to break up the color some.

Cam
 

JAY

Donating Member
Re: Flat black or gloss

I like all gloss black!
pics:
2012-06-16_12-43-26_592-1.jpg

2012-06-16_12-45-17_825-1.jpg

2012-06-16_15-40-54_5-1-1.jpg


The professional pics FOTOMOTIVE took during the car show:
7392339296_77f525ca44_z.jpg


Camaro 20s pics
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76783&highlight=camaro&page=6
 
Last edited:

TrboSy2051

New member
Re: Flat black or gloss

Jay, thanks for the pix.

Currently the Sy is all gloss, but just had the cladding repaired/painted and went with flat on those (so I could go gloss/flat if wanted).

Jabberwalk, is that your truck in the pix? and what about it is hard to maintain? This is the kind of stuff I would like to know before deciding to dive in.

I've never really seen a true flat paint job. I have seen wraps which were so so on cars (I don't want a wrap though). If it went flat, I would also try to go with flat logo's as well. Just had the stock wheels black chromed.

thanks guys.
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: Flat black or gloss

Hyundai Veloster Article said:
A matte
finish uses a different coating that defuses light, providing its unique ‘flat’ finish,” the manual explains.

It is not a bomb.

Aside from the matte looking not as good on a SyTy, can no one spell properly???? It DIFFUSES light.

Moron journalists. :rant:

I think gloss all over or, at the very most, flat black on the cladding but then maintenance looks to be a PITA.
 

jabberwalk

New member
Re: Flat black or gloss

Jay, thanks for the pix.

Currently the Sy is all gloss, but just had the cladding repaired/painted and went with flat on those (so I could go gloss/flat if wanted).

Jabberwalk, is that your truck in the pix? and what about it is hard to maintain? This is the kind of stuff I would like to know before deciding to dive in.

I've never really seen a true flat paint job. I have seen wraps which were so so on cars (I don't want a wrap though). If it went flat, I would also try to go with flat logo's as well. Just had the stock wheels black chromed.

thanks guys.

The first thing is that shooting the truck is a nightmare...There is no way to buff or wetsand and imperfections. My painter ended spraying the truck 3 times to get it right. I have a base/clearcoat on mine. I believe it was close to a 50/50 gloss flat blend. You can not wax, or sand or claybar down the road or it will change the sheen. I use a microfiber and an instant detail type product. The first few times I cleaned it it cleaned very easy, but now things like bugs seem to be harder to get off. Dont get me wrong I love how it looks, but to do again, I might go gloss and just wrap it after. You can see lots more pics of it on FB....Search for Jabberwalk.
 

TrboSy2051

New member
Re: Flat black or gloss

Thanks for the inputs guys. After getting the cladding back on (front bumper cover is hell to line up) i'm going to go back to gloss and flat. Kinda forgot how sharp it looks. On a side note... Does anyone else's rear quarter panels not reach the tabs at the rear valance? Mine was like this since day one, so i fixed it. Just made the tabs extend to the attach points. Looks cleaner and actually functions. Also have an issue with the passenger rear fender top piece. Going to leave it as i don't think i'll ever get that straight (gives it character).

thanks again.
 
Top