Suicide Hood Idea

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

TheNeek said:
The biggest concern I would have with the full front clip tilting, is the cladding. I don't know if I could bring myself to cut through the cladding.

I have pieces I could sell you that are already "cut through" :D
 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

TheNeek said:
The biggest concern I would have with the full front clip tilting, is the cladding. I don't know if I could bring myself to cut through the cladding.
I have extra cladding in not-so-good shape to sacrifice to the flip-top front clip gods...
 

Joey Allen

MUNCHKIN
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

I did my S-10 exactly like the red trucks back in 1990. Even done the rear hinge the same, man that's weird. To me working on it was not much different, one good point was more light. With the hood to the front no huge shadow casting over the engine compartment. And it was sweet at car shows.
 

SycloneDesired

New member
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

Joey Allen said:
I did my S-10 exactly like the red trucks back in 1990. Even done the rear hinge the same, man that's weird. To me working on it was not much different, one good point was more light. With the hood to the front no huge shadow casting over the engine compartment. And it was sweet at car shows.
my thoughts exactly joey but i've decided to do the entire front clip. Everything from the back of the front fender forwards is going to flip forwards but here's the kicker :rock: it's going tobe hinged with pins for full on/off removal ;)
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

you need to check out sy 2156 in the 91 Syclone gallery.

The front end removes with a couple pins

The hood removes with some quick fastener

pretty cool set up
 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

SycloneDesired said:
my thoughts exactly joey but i've decided to do the entire front clip. Everything from the back of the front fender forwards is going to flip forwards but here's the kicker :rock: it's going tobe hinged with pins for full on/off removal ;)
[\ideajack]

I feel so small and insignificant after reading that.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:eyes:
 

stlSY

Truck RamRod
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

I was looking into a tilt front for my Sy form US Body, they have some that are split (similar to the pic earlier in the thread) so you don't have to come up with some complex hinge setup. It has all of the recesses to mount headlights / grill, I just wonder how well it will clear the bumper cladding.

http://www.usbody.com/ShopOn-Line/
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

The tilt front end looks like a gift from heven. Just where do you put the battery, overflow tank, cold air box......

Atleast one of you guys will tell me to put the battery in the rear but I like mine low in the front (like a Corvette) (Well, some Corvettes had them in the rear) (never mind).

By the way, how much and where can I get one? I figure I can do most anything with the right tools and a prototype.
 

stlSY

Truck RamRod
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

Bill Z said:
The tilt front end looks like a gift from heven. Just where do you put the battery, overflow tank, cold air box......

Atleast one of you guys will tell me to put the battery in the rear but I like mine low in the front (like a Corvette) (Well, some Corvettes had them in the rear) (never mind).

By the way, how much and where can I get one? I figure I can do most anything with the right tools and a prototype.

I was going to put the battery in the back, but if you were wanting to keep it up front you would need to fabricate a tray that mounts to the frame (somewhere near where the original battery was). The air box should be able to be secured to the radiator support with the right brackets put in place. As far as an overflow, a small stainless or aluminum tank located beside the radiator is what I had planned if I do the tilt.
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

you may want to consider skinning a stock set of steel fenders and creating your own til front end with sheet metal. I will weigh about the same and look nicer in the end - look at sy2158 for more idea's
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

If fiberglass it too heavy what about carbon fiber?

Think about building your own front end just a little. We all know that there needs to be just a little more room in the front for all of the cooling systems to live. I mean the stock oil cooler, power steering cooler, trans cooler and the IC coolers aren't adequate (especially for us in the south). Aftermarket coolers are the way to go but there isn't enough room between the core support and the grill. With your own tilt front end, It could be built with an extra inch or 2 (not too many) to solve all of those issues and wouldn't be noticed.

Just think a little about it.

So, what was the price on the fiberglass tilt front end that was too heavy? Group Purchase!!!!
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

You could do what i did on my project.

1. Short Style Water pump
2. Redo Fire wall - move engine back 3"
3. Remove all of the junk not wanted and needed

plenty of room

2006_03_25_045.jpg
 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Suicide Hood Idea

Syborg Twin Turbo said:
You could do what i did on my project.

1. Short Style Water pump
2. Redo Fire wall - move engine back 3"
3. Remove all of the junk not wanted and needed

plenty of room

Cold Marty, real cold....
 
Top