Spark plugs

Maaso

New member
Aight...I used the search feature and all I could find was that I need CR42TS. Also saw that alot of you recommend NGK.

Now, Im doing a tune up and all that stuff that y'all recomended I do. The truck had Autolites 104s in them...might be something else, dont remember exactly.

So I went to the Autozone and they said the CR42TS are extinct, and have been replaced with a Delco Rapidfire, PN 1

Just looking for plug advise....
 

pinellas50

New Guy
Re: Spark plugs

I couldn't find those or the NGK's anywhere near me. The only thing I could find were Autolite 23's which seem to be fine.
 

attackdog

New member
Re: Spark plugs

I can get the CR42TS here in town. They usually have to be ordered from the Local Auto Zone or Murrays. It doesn't take long to get them. Let me know if I can help out.
-Dean
 

Loeryder

New member
Re: Spark plugs

Get a hold of Michael Hood at Tucker Auto Parts.
He is a site sponsor and has a forum where you can get a quote and order all of your SyTy specific tune up parts.
It's tough to find this stuff locally.

I just ordered 3 sets of plugs, two of them NGK that are hard to get locally.
UR5s for the Ty. :tup:
 

Maaso

New member
Re: Spark plugs

They can order them....I just live ~35 miles out, and dont know when I was gonna be back in town to get them. So I didnt have them ordered....

My main question was about the RapidFire plugs they did stock though.
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
Re: Spark plugs

Don't run the RapidFire plugs or any other gimmick plug or platinum plug. The only acceptable plugs are (in order of preference):

NGK UR5 (stock heat range), UR6 (colder)
ACDelco CR42TS (factory plug, CR43TS is not an acceptable substitute)
Autolite 23's (similar to UR5/CR42TS)

I get the NGK's at the local large hardware/farm store, Summit also has them, or Michael Hood (sytyguy) who is really GREAT to order parts from!
 

hatrik8

Donating Member
Re: Spark plugs

FWIW I bought UR5's from Autozone or AdvanceAutoparts not too long ago. I'll probably get UR6's next time though.
 

sytyguy

Moderated User
Re: Spark plugs

Stock heads
UR5 - 2771 - $1.89 each
UR6 - 7773 - $1.89 each

Vortec heads
TR5 - 2238 - $1.89 each
TR55 - 3951 - $1.89 each
TR6 - 4177 - $1.89 each

Other plugs
Autolite 104 - $1.75 each
AC Delco CR42TS - $1.75 each

I don't stock or sell many of the 104s or CR42TSs, but I keep all NGKs in stock in great multitude. Contact me if you need to order anything.

Also, thanks for the kind words, Jason & Josh. :tup:

Hood
 

TYHOGG

Active member
Re: Spark plugs

All of the Pepboys i have been to carry the CR42TS. They have to order the UR6 though.
 

atkonkler

Is this your bush?
Re: Spark plugs

Alot of people will rum a .028 to .035. Set the anywhere in there and you should be fine.oh and by the way...these vehicles eat ignition components alive....I do a tune up every 6-9k....if you get stuff from autozone and buy the Gold cap and rotor they are brass and it's a lifetime warranty. You can change it out whenever you want then and don't have to buy them again.:tup:
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Spark plugs

Stock heads
UR5 - 2771 - $1.89 each
UR6 - 7773 - $1.89 each

Vortec heads
TR5 - 2238 - $1.89 each
TR55 - 3951 - $1.89 each
TR6 - 4177 - $1.89 each

Other plugs
Autolite 104 - $1.75 each
AC Delco CR42TS - $1.75 each

I don't stock or sell many of the 104s or CR42TSs, but I keep all NGKs in stock in great multitude. Contact me if you need to order anything.

Also, thanks for the kind words, Jason & Josh. :tup:

Hood

I feel like the village idiot here.:roll: UR5 reach is 11.6 and the TR5 is 19

The short reach plug is for Vortec's? Haven't seen this before.
 

Jimmy

Banned
Re: Spark plugs

Mine don't and never have.

I've owned 5 of them, and put 150K miles on them in aggregate. Why change stuff that doesn't need changing just because you read it on the internet, so it must be true? I let the way the engine runs tell me if something needs to be changed. Like the plugs.

My Typhoon has 55,000 miles on the plugs and runs just fine. The wires are stock Delco I put on it in 1997. That's 20 years on the wires. Still good. Rotor and cap are probably the same age as the plugs. Don't remember. This Ty runs great. I drove DesertSy cross country to the new owner with almost 30K on the plugs, and it too ran flawlessly for 3 days and 2,900 miles.

I follow my own adage: If it runs OK, leave the hood closed. Save time and money for something else. Like driving it instead of working on it. I don't change my cap and rotor more frequently than I put gas in it like some of the guys on here advocate.
True. In the South we have a saying "If it ain't broke,don't fix it"
 

atkonkler

Is this your bush?
Re: Spark plugs

Mine don't and never have.

I've owned 5 of them, and put 150K miles on them in aggregate. Why change stuff that doesn't need changing just because you read it on the internet, so it must be true? I let the way the engine runs tell me if something needs to be changed. Like the plugs.

My Typhoon has 55,000 miles on the plugs and runs just fine. The wires are stock Delco I put on it in 1997. That's 20 years on the wires. Still good. Rotor and cap are probably the same age as the plugs. Don't remember. This Ty runs great. I drove DesertSy cross country to the new owner with almost 30K on the plugs, and it too ran flawlessly for 3 days and 2,900 miles.

I follow my own adage: If it runs OK, leave the hood closed. Save time and money for something else. Like driving it instead of working on it. I don't change my cap and rotor more frequently than I put gas in it like some of the guys on here advocate.


Well ....I only drive the vehicle in the summer and it's very humid here in Mn during the summer. Moisture tends to be a factor of the cap getting deposits over time. I'll tell you what the next time I do the cap and rotor I'll take pictures of them. Plus I can change the cap with the lifetime warranty thru autozone. So why not do that? In turn keeping essentially brand new and not worn or semi worn cap and rotor in the ignition system.:tup:
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Spark plugs

Alot of people will rum a .028 to .035.

Unless your running alky injection, 0.032 to 0.035 is fine for the average truck. When owners started using alky in the mid 2000's, gaps of 0.025 to 0.030 were needs to keep the engine from miss firing. its not just you but all of sudden every owner is recommending the alky spark plug gaps for every SyTy.

I've owned 5 of them, and put 150K miles on them in aggregate. Why change stuff that doesn't need changing just because you read it on the internet, so it must be true? I let the way the engine runs tell me if something needs to be changed. Like the plugs.

My Typhoon has 55,000 miles on the plugs and runs just fine. The wires are stock Delco I put on it in 1997. That's 20 years on the wires. Still good. Rotor and cap are probably the same age as the plugs. Don't remember. This Ty runs great. I drove DesertSy cross country to the new owner with almost 30K on the plugs, and it too ran flawlessly for 3 days and 2,900 miles.

DaveP has a good point. The mantra that these truck eats ignition components has been around since I bought my Syclone 15 years ago. Ignition components are easy to replace. These truck eats cap and rotors with aftermarket ignition coils. They go through wires more often when used with headers or when mechanics don't use the factory wire looms to keep the wires adeqately spaced front the down pipe on the passenger side. They run like crap with too hot of plug (i.e. wrong plug). I suspect 'these trucks eating ignition components' recommendation has morphed from these issues and applied to every truck, much like spark plug gap recommendations have apply alky engines to every syty engine.

I bought my Syclone with 42K miles and it had the original cap/rotor and wires on it. The truck ran perfectly fine (except for the dead intercooler pump). Immediately after purchasing it, I replaced all ignition parts. I put about 8k miles on those components and I replace the entire ignition when I redid the motor 7k miles ago. The ignition components looks great when I redid everything, in 2009. I replace my plugs when I regapped them last fall.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Spark plugs

Well ....I only drive the vehicle in the summer and it's very humid here in Mn during the summer. Moisture tends to be a factor of the cap getting deposits over time. I'll tell you what the next time I do the cap and rotor I'll take pictures of them.

I don't buy the humidity excuse. My truck is driven summers and I only average 1k per year. In the Northeast, we have similiar humidity as you do. My ignition components have 7 years on them on a 11 sec truck. The cap wear you are seeing if from normal use, it probably looks like that after a few drives.
 

atkonkler

Is this your bush?
Re: Spark plugs

As far as I'm concerned almost all ignition components are made in China now....So deal with it Dave. I'm not going to argue with you. I knew you were going to do this....so I'll put on my "Child Gloves " again to speak with you as I always have. Maybe if you stopped being a Cock womble and took into consideration that everyone is not like you and has different experiences than you .....you would be better off. End of story.....
 
Top