Photoshopped picture?

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

Accessory brackets modified and powder coated.. All accessories and belt installed:

Accessories%20and%20Brackets%201.JPG


Accessories%20and%20Brackets%202.JPG


Heat shields built to protect plug wires, temp sensor, and starter/solenoid:

Heat%20Shields%201.JPG


Heat%20Shields%202.JPG


Heat%20Shields%203.JPG


Heat%20Shields%204.JPG


Moving along.....
 

ziembic

Donating Member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

Matt, can you expand the heatshield to also tie off the wires? Not to have them physically touch, but to bunch them together? Looking good buddy.
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

Matt, can you expand the heatshield to also tie off the wires? Not to have them physically touch, but to bunch them together? Looking good buddy.

Thanks for the idea thats probably would be a smart thing to do.. Maybe I'll add some brackets to hold a set of these in place:

$(KGrHqJ,!h!E6ZEEewO-BOy(1oE02g~~60_12.JPG
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

More progress.. Small blocks do not have a hole up in the top of the block to thread the knock sensor into. The coolant drain ports are blocked by my motor mounts so I needed to come up with a place to mount my knock sensor:

Knock%20Sensor%20Mount.JPG


Hopefully someday the front of that bracket will serve as a mount for a crank trigger sensor...

Plate to bolt to the Ramjet intake and provide a vacuum port for the MAP sensor:

MAP%20Sensor%20Plate.JPG


I had to drill and tap the intake so that a MAT sensor could be installed:

Taping%20hole%20for%20MAT%20sensor.JPG


New%20Hole%20for%20MAT%20sensor.JPG


MAT%20sensor%20installed.JPG


Sensor from inside of intake:

MAT%20sensor%20from%20inside%20intake.JPG
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: Photoshopped picture?

Thanks for the idea thats probably would be a smart thing to do.. Maybe I'll add some brackets to hold a set of these in place:

$(KGrHqJ,!h!E6ZEEewO-BOy(1oE02g~~60_12.JPG

i think i have a cad of something similar on the shop computer if you want to just make those yourself
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

i think i have a cad of something similar on the shop computer if you want to just make those yourself

I thought about it but I'm not sure they should be made from metal??? I already ordered a set of these anyway..
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

More progress.. Small blocks do not have a hole up in the top of the block to thread the knock sensor into. The coolant drain ports are blocked by my motor mounts so I needed to come up with a place to mount my knock sensor:

Knock%20Sensor%20Mount.JPG


Hopefully someday the front of that bracket will serve as a mount for a crank trigger sensor...

I don't think you're going to get a terribly accurate knock signal out of that arrangement... it really needs to be in the block, head or manifold.

The lack of a hole is an easy fix... drill a hole about where the Sy/Ty sensor is and tap for NPT. The engine rebuilders do this a lot.
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

I don't think you're going to get a terribly accurate knock signal out of that arrangement... it really needs to be in the block, head or manifold.

The lack of a hole is an easy fix... drill a hole about where the Sy/Ty sensor is and tap for NPT. The engine rebuilders do this a lot.


I was wondering the same thing but I was a little concerned about drilling and tapping the block. But, since you say its OK, consider it done..
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

Block drilled, tapped and knock sensor installed at 13ft/lbs(is that really all they get?).

Knock%20Sensor.JPG


Plug wire dividers mostly installed:

Plug%20Wire%20Dividers.JPG
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

Got some of my exhaust parts coated:

Exhaust%20Pipes%20Coated.JPG


Finished up the front fuel line that will go between the two fuel rails:

Front%20Fuel%20Line%20Complete%201.JPG
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

I finally have my fuel rails 100% complete. I purchased the fuel rail stock and made these from scratch. I didn't like the stock ramjet rails as they make a nasty 90 degree bend where the FPR mounts and GM charges a fortune for them. I had to duplicate the front hardline that GM uses as there isn't room to use fittings and braided. Also I set the rail up to accept a stock sy/ty style regulator since I just happened to have one laying around:

Front%20Fuel%20Line%20Complete%20and%20Installed%201.JPG


Front%20Fuel%20Line%20Complete%20and%20Installed%202.JPG


Front%20Fuel%20Line%20Complete%20and%20Installed%203.JPG


Left%20Fuel%20Rail%20Complete%20and%20Installed.JPG


Engine%20From%20Back.JPG
 
Last edited:

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

All exhaust parts coated:

Exhaust%20Parts%20Coated.JPG


Custom steering shaft complete:

Steering%20Shaft.JPG


My list is getting short. Its about time to throw some primer and paint on the frame then drop this engine in there.. :)
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

So the undercarriage has been:

1) Sprayed down with engine degreaser
2) Scrubbed with a brush
3) Pressure Washed
4) Sprayed with: oven cleaner, simple green, ajax, dish soap, (anything else I could find)
5) Scrubbed with brushes
6) Pressure Washed

42_On%20Lift%20Power%20Washing%20UnderCarriage.JPG


43_UnderCarriage%20degreased%20and%20power%20washed.JPG


I'll probably wire brush it some, wipe it down with wax/grease remover, then hit it with some self-etching primer followed by black paint..

The front end is stripped down:

44_Front%20End%20Stripped.JPG


All of the parts will get re-blasted and powder coated before they get reinstalled:

45_Front%20End%20Parts.JPG
 

mattw

Active member
Re: Photoshopped picture?

Everything is looking great. What lit the fire under your buttocks?

I couple of things...

1) The NASTE meet and watching/listening to all of the trucks leave at the end of the night.. Got me itching to feel some boost again.
2) We bought a 2010 Expedition a couple of months ago and I'm a bit jealous that my wife now gets to drive around a vehicle that she really likes and I'm stuck with the old 99 Jimmy..
3) I cut down 24 trees in my back yard and this spring I want to bring in some heavy equipment to pull the stumps and level the ground as much as possible. That project will take all of my spare time so I'd like to have the truck running prior to that...
 
Top