new guy- ty as daily driver?

audio77

New member
SY2932 said:

THAT... is exactly the thread i was seraching for, and why i started this topic. thank you. i LOVE tinkering, wrenching and modding, so this truck would be perfect for me,... at a different time due to financial crap. right now i need to be able to "fill it up and go" .


not sure it will ever happen for me since it would have to be a toy an dmy TOY has always been a motorcycle.

thanks for the info!
 

Sy#2373

New member
I say go for it.
Been daily driving mine for 4 years and 30,000 miles.
The Sy has left me stranded 1 time just a couple weeks ago and that was because nobody stocks the part i needed.
The front inner axle kept poping out of the the diff. a $2 part for any 4 wheeldrive s-10 and nobody local stocked them, go figure.
 

audio77

New member
well the Ty is at the top of my list, i love to mod, and wrench but i'm in no place financially to have expensive repairs. i mean, any older car i buy used i'll give a once over and probably swap out alot of common stuff that just gets old like belts, hoses (thermostat), fluids, plugs, etc.... especially since you dont prob know when all that stuff was done last. like someone said earlier, its preventitive stuff. when you compare it to anything else i can get for 10-13k am i any worse off? and second ? is compared to anything roughly the same age am i any worse off (other than obviously the ty specific stuff. and i'm not even sure what all that would be and what is TY specific that is likely to go KABOOM)

here is a link you can go to and maybe get an idea of who i am, this was my project over the last 2 years and just recently sold it. was something i think i enjoyed working on at least as much if not more than riding. countless hours were spent in the garage customizing SOMETHING. difference with the Ty is that it would have to be up and running every monday to get me back to work, unlike the bike that might be torn down for weeks or months at a time. i'm not a mechanic, but i ask alot of ?'s, jump right in and learn something. http://ImageEvent.com/aquakeeper/audio77
 

adam92

Active member
I used mine for my daily driver for the 1st year that I had it.The only thing that broke was the heater core,other than that,it was just the usual maintenance items.
 

Spinall4

New member
Jimmy said:
I've daily driven mine for 4 years,on a rebuilt engine,3 tranny failures,and a walbro dying.

50k miles I've done,but I wouldn't even wanna think of all the $ I've spent/hours I've spent wrenching.

If you don't mind working on it,a stock truck will prolly be ok for you.If you are a novice,a modded truck can be a nightmare.

IMHO they cannot be beat in the performace/dollar ratio.I got 100k supercar performance in mine for 1/4 the cost.I still got 10 bazillion things I wanna mod/improve (BRAKES fo sho) and if I had to do it all over again I would.

BUT

I would not get one if i was broke.These trucks will suck your wallet dry in a heartbeat.They are old,they are pissy,and they will leave you high and dry.Don't expect to just put gas in it and drive.

I wouldn't say that exactly. These things cost 3x what a dsm costs to go quick in. I was talking with smaug about this last night- $7k in dsm land will buy you a fully assembled motor from valve cover to oil pan that will take 1000 or so hp. 7k in syty land will buy you a stroker crank, a bow tie block and a set of heads, you'll have to spend another 10,000$ at least putting it together if you want it done right. 5.0 mustang is the same way, such a huge after market with so much competion, and so little required to make them go, that you can make them haul for peanuts.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Spinall4 said:
Jimmy said:
I wouldn't say that exactly. These things cost 3x what a dsm costs to go quick in. I was talking with smaug about this last night- $7k in dsm land will buy you a fully assembled motor from valve cover to oil pan that will take 1000 or so hp. 7k in syty land will buy you a stroker crank, a bow tie block and a set of heads, you'll have to spend another 10,000$

In SyTy land, $7K will buy you a fully assembled motor with forged pistons, rods, splayed mains, treated crank and vortech heads (ofcourse using the production block) Enough to push 700hp and run 10's with the right tuning.
 

Spinall4

New member
audio77 said:
what is a dsm

Diamond Star Motors
90-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse
90-98 Eagle Talon
90-94 Plymouth Laser

dgoodhue- http://www.shepracing.com/sr_dragtalon.html with that same 7k in motor work, this guy is running 8's. Thats the *top of the line* dsm build. for the budget build, most people in the dsm world run alot cheaper builds. Somthing like this http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=1031&from slow boy is good for 600 wheel hp and costs 2300$ for the short block, http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=1035& 1100 for the head. The cars really are insanely cheap to build. Probelm is, as soon as most people get enough money to move on up the car food chain, they move on(like me with the typhoon) :tup:
 

Ty93MN

New member
I drive my 93 Ty as a daily driver, and only had very minor probs (due to incompetent mechanic for tune-up recently).

They are a money pit, and always starving for mechanical attention, but like you I dirve a very short distance to work, so no biggie for me.

The -25 temps and snow we have seen recently haven't affected my Ty in any way, so I'm thankful for that (thank goodness for a remote starter though!)

Good luck with it, but heed the above advice... find a reliable tuner, or tune yourself!!
 

ABLITZ

Damn Yankee
daily drove mine for a year and a half(20k miles).went thru 2 trannys(one last only 10k before 3rd and 4th let go) ,water pump,ecu.the ecu left me stranded in the middle of atlanta at 4am. :tdown:

you can DD one just make sure you have AAA :lol:
 

NCTyphoon

New member
My Ty has been daily driver for me sine I got it new in '93. Change oil every 3500-4000 miles and keep it stock! Other than normal wear to stuff like front end(ball joints, idler arms, brakes) it's not given any trouble. I'm just about at 140,000 and still like a new truck in most respects. Maybe I am too gentle on it...it did see WOT one time when coming back from KC2000 :lol:
 
Top