exhaust leak???

fizzler

New member
Well this is my first post here and hope it will not offend anyone! :D
Heres the story.... I bought an all stock 33k mile sy a few days ago and have started going over a few things. The problem is that I don't know the sy and tys very well, BUT willing to learn! Anyway,,, my first problem is what I think might be an exhaust leak! When the truck is at idle it sounds fluttery "under" the front of the truck! When I have the hoop open I can't hear it from the top!
If this is a leak, what do I need to know before I jump on it?
Is they're a certain pipe or something that I might need to check first? It sounds like it's directly under the front of the truck. It might not be anything to worry about, but I just want to be sure!

BTW, awesome site :D

Any tips or ideas will be much appreciated!

God bless,
James :D
 

fizzler

New member
I am located in Waycross, Ga. About an hour and a half north of Jacksonville Fl. Any ideas???

Thanks again!
 

protosy

New member
if you are sure its exhaust and its right in the dead center of the truck, check the crossover tube, it will be in the front of the motor. it is two pieces and has a joint right in the middle of it. there is a clamp that should be keeping it tight and leak free.

chad
 

Falco

Donating Member
In most cases exhaust leaks give you a tickling sound, when the engine is under load. The closer to the engine, the louder the tickling. Anyway It could leak between the heads and the headers, at three points on the crossover pipe (which connects the two headers), at the turbo-to-pass side header connection and at the turbo-to-downpipe connection (beside this it can leak elswhere too, ig it's cracked). Hearing it under the truck makes the crossover the first suspect. Start the truck while it's cold, go under it and put your palm near to the connections, you will feel the warm stuff comming out if it's leaking...

HTH,
 

fizzler

New member
Thanks for the help! The sound is definitely not ticking but it almost sounds like "fan wash", kinda fluttery!

What is the best (i.e. easiest) way to get access to these potential leak points? It looks impossible HA HA! I know that I can get to em but it might take me twice as long to do it my way! Any secrets??? :wink:

Thanks again guys for the assistance, I really do appreciate it all,

God bless,
James
 

blackty

Active member
Start it up cold and while you are sticking your head under looking/listening for leaks, have someone hold rags over the exhaust pipe ends. Makes it easier to find. Jim
 
Top