Whats the best motor combination ?

99Xtreme_lover

New member
Sup , i just bougth an bowtie block . I would like to know what are the guys with bowtie blocks over here use and run good times . Do they go big bore and stock stroke billet crank , or big bore and long stroke , or 4.030 bore with stock stroke or 4.030 bore with long stroke ? And if i go with big bore ( 4.125 )and stock stroke ( billet evenfire or oddfire ) would vortec stage 3 heads work great ? And i would like to know if stroker is realy worth it ? I am going with turbo so which would work the best with an turbo ?
Thanx
 

UNIsackV6

Member
If you've got the dough build it right the first time...go with a quality rod like Carrillo or Oliver...good turbo pistons from say JE or Diamond...the rest really depends on how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend, you could follow a McCoy type build with Vortec heads and say evenfire crank, with a Speedpro and have an easy 11 second truck or if you are a glutton for punishment you could go with some real heads, 18 degree heads are nice, but then you'll need some custom headers from say RPM...Oddfire crank will give you some added strength and make your motor more of a revver...if you have high flowing heads you really need to bore the block a bit to let them breathe better...but cubes are nice, you don't have to have them but they definitely don't hurt...just my opinion but I'd bore it and stroke it...then you'll need a good tuner :wink:
 

99Xtreme_lover

New member
Thanx man .
But would 18 degree heads be too much with 3.4x stroke oddfire with an 4.125 bore ? I think i would loose lots of bottom end . I want to run atleast mid 10s . I could get an oddfire 3.4x for a little more then 1000 bucks but i don't know how it will work with big heads . New stroker cranks cost around 2500 bucks . Is there anyone who have stroker oddfire crank for sale ?
 

nick041881

Member
de-stroke it...run alot more rpm. i havent heard of any syty's doing this. more popular among the buick crowd. besides... those destroked motors sound crazy!!!
 

99Xtreme_lover

New member
I'm not sure but i think the buicks guys destroke it to run some type of classes . I was thinking on starting with an 3.48 odfirre crank with an big bore . I want to do this good the first time .
thanx
 

sy2206

New member
Ahhh, that bowtie motor is junk, you don't want it, trust me. But because I'm such a nice guy and all, to help you out I'm willing to take that bowtie off your hands so you're not stuck with it. You know, get it out of your garage for ya. :lol:
 

UNIsackV6

Member
99Xtreme_lover said:
Thanx man .
But would 18 degree heads be too much with 3.4x stroke oddfire with an 4.125 bore ? I think i would loose lots of bottom end . I want to run atleast mid 10s . I could get an oddfire 3.4x for a little more then 1000 bucks but i don't know how it will work with big heads . New stroker cranks cost around 2500 bucks . Is there anyone who have stroker oddfire crank for sale ?

Stock stroke is fine, mine is only 3.50" so...run a stock stroke and say a 4.1 bore and you'll be 274ci or something like that and you'll be fine, remember that there is lot more than just stroke, bore, and heads...you'll need a properly sized turbo and cam. A well built Oddfire motor with say a zero overlap cam with a relatively low lift .550 cam and say a T76 turbo would give you plenty of bottom end trust me...you just need to have a good tuner and don't port the heads or intake too much and your lower end should be fine...define what you consider lower end, how many RPMS??? Here is a good example, with my wild set up 18 degree heads, Pontiac Intake, RPM headers, .675 lift cam etc...my truck idles at 800RPMS thanks to BG, also my turbo (T76) is too small for my set up, I get boost as low as 2,500RPMS and can see 12PSI as low as 3,500RPMS so...if you build an Oddfire and do it right get ready to worry about the trans and suspension :wink: If I were you I would get in touch with Mike Lee at RPM in California he can really take care of your Oddfire needs...Rich Eartly may have a stock stroke Oddfire crank for sale if you want me to ask him for you just let me know.
 

99Xtreme_lover

New member
I bougth the block from Mike Lee . He's out of town rigth now but he told me he have an stock stroke oddfire crank so maybe i buy that one .
OddfireV6 , do you know how much does the 18 degrees flow out of the box ( not ported ) and how much ported ?
thanx
 

99Xtreme_lover

New member
But the thing i would like to know is that did anybody used an bowtieblock with stock or close to stock stroke with big bore ( 4.125 ) and vortec heads ( stage 3 ) cause i don't see any V8 with big bore (4.125 ) use vortec , most of them uses bigger heads with bigger intake ports etc..
I just want to know if it would work rigth .
thanx
 

nightdiver

Active member
"Small" heads gives torque and are better when you dont want to rev that high.
I got also a bowtie alu block from Mike and im gonna use a stroker shaft with kinda "small" heads 320 - 340 cfm (Mike said this set was his personal set)
I want to rev around 6000 rpm for safety reasons :-?
 

UNIsackV6

Member
Stock 18's flow ~320cfm intake and ~210cfm exhaust you can have them ported and flow ~360cfm...ahh what exactly is the definition of "small"?? My heads aren't "small" unless your Mr. Canted valve heads like Mr. Lee but I make tons of torque...try over 800lbs at 4600RPMS on say 12-13PSI...
 

nightdiver

Active member
Well i call "small" the 280-320 heads meaning that they are not the highest flow heads ,and big heads the heads you got (18*)the highest available....
I mean smaller than the Biggest
Increasing the cu in an engine and keeping the same head you get more torque right? If you need more hp you get the 18*
Your heads arent small and i really dont know if my selection of the 23* was wrong
 
Top