What should I do with my Ty?

QUIKSUV

New member
My Ty is a 9300 mile White/White that has never been in the rain. Always garaged and covered. I am the original owner. I broke a piston at 5000 miles in 1995 but it was built soon after with forged pistons, cam, 2800 stall converter and a 20G turbo. It has been the fun weekend warrior until the last year. I got the itch to make it quicker and installed a PTE60, Borla, and 50 lb injectors. I am now in the low 12's and knocking on the door of 11's. Any mods that I have done I have kept the stock parts so it could be returned to stock someday (at least visually). The truck will only be worth money in the future as a stocker, right? But will these trucks ever be worth anything in 10-20 years? Will we be seeing these trucks at Barrett Jackson commanding high 5 or 6 digit prices? My feeling is no. Any truck will never be worth as much as a collector car. No matter what the performance it is still a truck.

Now my dilemma. I want a 10 sec vehicle that can be driven on the street. For that level of performance I know I will need more of a race car that is streetable opposed to a street car that is raceable. Because I live in Cali, I have been looking for pre 1973 cars since they are smog exempt. Anything nice is gettting up there in $$$. Should I take the Ty to the next level with an engine build and safety equipment?

One problem is smog sticker but I am sure there are ways to get around that one. Another is that I will probably take the truck past its return to stock status and ruin whatever collector value it has. Should I sell the truck to someone that will appreciate it in its current state and take the cash to put into another project?

If these trucks will never be worth more than $15-25K in low miles pristine condition then I will probably build it up and not worry about future value.

What do you guys think?
 

SeattleSy#1255

Category 5 Conservative
I think its hard to answer the "what will it be worth" question for the future...

i can tell you that my outlook on cars, no matter what they are, is they are made to be driven...i personally can't put a car in storage, just to look at it, its just not my style.

I think this is a question you'll have to answer really without any help. We can give you opinions, but hell, some what to build and go fast and screw stock, some want stock for the sake of saying its stock...nothing wrong with either...

seem you got a go fast itch...i think the question is, do you want to go fast in the ty or something else...

that question can't be answered wrong either.

Good Luck and lets us know what you decide!
 

Syclone#1992

SyTy.net Moderator
I know most people that own Typhoons, might get mad at this statement. IMO a Typhoon is made to be driven, more were made and most people still look at it as "just" an SUV. A Syclone is rarer and less were made, and probably less in exsistance. Most of the Ty's have high mileage on them but they still bring decent cash. It is hard to say whether the Ty's will ever be considered a "collector" because many people don't know what they are, and the same can be said for the Syclone. Many people seem to stick to the trucks and cars. I think there are many more Typhoons that are daily drivers than Syclones.

Anyway, there are less and less of these trucks out on the market that are clean and have a somewhat low amount of miles on them. It is getting harder and harder to find them low mileage and clean.
 

J_SULLIVAN

A&P slave monkey
I guess if it was me I would just ask myself, "what is it worth to Jeremy?" Anyways, nice TY and if I had the cash for THAT one, I would buy it! Good luck... :wink:
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Its your money & truck so you can do what you want with it. A nice low milegae Ty never seen rain Ty is rare (thought your motor isn't original) and has some value due to its uniqueness. I don't know if it will ever appreciate to much more than $25K, only time will tell. Vehicles usually aren't good investments.

However, if I was in your shoes I would buy another one and modify that truck and keep your low mileage Ty. A 10 sec Ty is going to require quite a few permenant mod (and hacks). A 10 sec ty is also going to break parts. If you have a reliable mild Ty, you will atleast have that truck to drive.
 
Top