Ultimate V9 and Ty....having random issues

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
I have purchased a V9 chip and went through the whole rigamarole to get it installed (correctly). About 4 months ago, I ended up sending the chip and display to get checked out, and after I received it back, things were OK for awhile. The truck has begun exhibiting random problems...real erratic-like. I went through and verified that I have the correct MAP sensor (numbers have changed..dont have them handy right now..) and that all vac lines are in great shape (replaced all of them before I got the chip). Installed the FP and AFPR@49# I removed each ground, and cleaned them all off, and scraped the paint and corrosion from where they go bolted to.

Well, the truck will, at times, just stall for no reason. You are sitting at an intersection, all is fine, then the rpms drop a bit, and stalls. It starts right up, but stumbles a bit when you take off. Then, while driving, the truck will act like it is shutting off, then back on, feels like when you hit OVRBOOST and the fuel cuts out for a second. When it does this, it doesn't trip a code. Hook up the DM, and only recently, it started giving me a MALF42 - EST FAILURE, and I hear a persistent DING from the PC speaker. I notice the O2 XOVER isnt acting like it should, so I removed it and cleaned it well...looked good to begin with...did't help, so I replaced it. No dice. Check the TPS, checks out fine (with Analog meter). Goddamit! WFT! As a last-ditch effort, I remove the Ultimate chip and put the stocker back in...no more problems. OK...maybe a bad connection...a wiring harness in the ECM not plugged in all the way...something? Give it a few days, and DM it..all is fine. a few days go by, and I reinstall the Ult. chip. The same probs creep up. Hmmm... I pull ECM B fuse overnight...try again...same crap. Hmmm..... Put stock chip back in, runs great. OK, I quit! Anyone in Michigan that is competent with the Ultimate chips that is willing to have a looks-sees?

Rds.
qbnkiller

:evil:
 

Sy769

Donating Member
I do my own chipping so I have the ECM in my glove compartment.

You can send it to me and I'll drive my truck for a few days with it in and see if it causes problems. I've got numerous references on this board that I won't steal your chip. :wink:

The two most common things I have seen people do is not get the chip seated correctly and get the fuel pressure way off. Could be a problem with the chip but many times it is a problem with the truck that manifests itself when you add the ultimate.

You can email me the DM file and I'll see if there is anything obvious.
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Ultimate V9 and Ty....having random issues

I just purchased a v9 ultimate chip (radar) and installed a new 3 bar MAP and am having the exact problems that you described. I upgraded from a Hypertech chip that was running great but did not allow me any adjustments.

On occasions, I will get an error 42. Sometimes it can hardly pull away from the stoplight. It is like it is bogging down. I even hear it backfiring into the plentum every once in a while.

I tried e-mailing both Todd and Brian asking for suggestions. I got an automatic e-mail back from Todd saying that he was out until 11/02 the first of this week. Brian has not returned my e-mail. I would not be so torqued except that I can’t get a hold of ether of those guys and my ride sucks.

I just go around with these hick-ups in my truck. My wife keeps asking me if I am doing that to the truck. I am embarrassed to say that I don’t know what the heck is the problem.

I say all of this just to ask you to share what you find out with me so we can both have a great ride. If I get a word from Todd or Brian I will share with you.

Some questions: what fuel pressure are you running? What do you set your fuel pressure regulator to with the vacuum line off? I think that that may be some of the problem.

Have you checked your throttle position sensor?

Have you gone back to your old chip?
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Ultimate V9 and Ty....having random issues

Disregard my questions, I re-read your post. Looks like you covered most of them.
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Ultimate V9 woes...

Ultimate V9 woes...

..yeah, if/when I find out more about what it is with mine, I will post it here. I believe that I have covered the bases, but am willing to hear from others.

That is why I wouldn't mind taking it to someone who has knowledge with the chips/trucks. I guess it is kinda hard to do.

Rds.
q
 

heavy breather

FBI enforcer
I am not telling you to hang parts and throw money at it to solve the problem, but I saw similar problems in a truck I worked on a while back. The ultimate really gives your ignition system a workout vs a stock chip, I would consider an ignition module or a bad coil. I was working on a truck that had more severe ignition issues, but still found improved driveability by changing out the coil...and a faulty module will die out when things heat up.

Not garaunteeing thats the problem, but its worth a check...don't have any of these parts tested at Autozone!
 

Sy769

Donating Member
Couple thoughts from above.

There are only to correct ways to set base fuell pressure.
1. Energize the pump by applying 12 volts to the female spade connector just below the relay.
2. Unplug the vac hose and plug it. Set fuel pressure with engine at idle.

Stock injector ultimate should use 50 psi as a starting point.

Also if you look at the Hypertech bin you'd laugh at anyone who has says they are not junk.
 

ty1548

Member
My first guess would be either a wire has come loose in the connector to your ecm, as this exhibited the same intermittent problems in my truck. I recall I had a ground wire and O2 wire that needed a new pin for the connector. The truck would be running fine and then suddenly stall or stumble. Or, the cable for the chip has been compromised in some way. Look for a pinched wire or stripped insulation allowing a possible short.

You can always send it back to me if you think it's some other issue with the chip. Exhaust all the other possibilities first though, 99% of these issues turn out to be non-chip related.
 

ty1548

Member
BillZ,

Last I heard you were still using a Borg Warner MAP sensor and not the AC Delco 16040749 specified in your instructions. Does anyone know if this MAP will work? I do not know of anyone using it nor if it will wrok properly.

Todd
 
Top