SyTy specialists in the NE?

ColinMc

New member
Hello,
My father and I have been trying to get our typhoon up and running for 2 or 3 years now, roadblock after roadblock...after the second engine rebuild...it still runs like crap and needs work. At this point, we just want to be able to bring it to a shop that KNOWS Typhoons and can do work on them. We are in the albany area but willing to trailer it somewhere. It is a 1 owner 43k mile example. PLEASE someone can you recommend a good clean shop/person that can help us? A real shop, not a shade tree mechanic or bozo that kinda knows cars and a friend said they worked on a Typhoon once. We are sick of the runaround and neither of us has the time to work on it. It's getting to the point where I might just call John Waller and see if we can ship it to him. John helped us out a lot with parts and things like that...but 13 hours is a long haul to bring it to SC lol. Or is that maybe worth it? Please any input would be much appreciated.

The motor has been completely rebuilt, new crank, H beam rods, JE Pistons 30 over, valve job on the heads, new valve springs, retainers, lifters, cam. Upgraded stock turbo...Double roller timing chain, new flexplate...you name it...LOTS of money into this thing...just want it to run well again so we can drive it! The motor builder is very skilled and quite reputable, the motor INSTALLER however turns out, is not...first time was a dealership that screwed us, second time was what we were told was a good well known mechanic, but he did it under a tree quite literally, took over 6 months and left it OUTSIDE the whole time. Ruining a brand new 4k dollar paint job in the process. We are FED UP and want it fixed no matter what it takes lol.

Thanks,
Colin
 

wheels

Donating Member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

Wow, another Capital Region Typhoon. Where in Albany? I Live off western ave. I can give you a hand sometime of you need it. I'm not a mechanic, but can do some moderate wrenching. PM me, I would like to come by and check out your Ty.
 

ColinMc

New member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

I live in East Greenbush, right off Exit 8 of I-90. My dad bought the Ty new as a demo model in 1993, first titled owner. Been stored every winter, and babied but for some reason it blew apart one of the Pistons a few years ago, and ever since it's been a nightmare lol. It's not pretty to look at after the damage the shade tree mechanic did putting the motor back in this last time...Scratch on the hood, dents in the tailgate from someone pushing it by hand against the tailgate, right front cladding broken off...ugh it's sickening.

Before that, Gendrons put the motor back in after the first rebuild, and they didn't flush out the oil cooler, so pieces of metal that were the piston and rings before went right back through the motor again...fun stuff.
 

ColinMc

New member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

Well I called and talked to John, I think we are just gonna send it to him in the middle/end of January or whenever he can work on it. I trust him, he knows Typhoons, and he sold us all the parts we put into it, so he knows those as well. I figure we'll ship it there with an auto shipping place, then my dad said he'll fly out and drive it home. Good break in miles :) We'll see how things work out though.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

there are a few performance shops in the northeast that I'd consider..

Nick from MA used a shop in CT, not sure what the name was though..
other than that, i believe there are a few members in the MA area that actually run shops..
 

wheels

Donating Member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

ColinMc said:
I live in East Greenbush, right off Exit 8 of I-90. My dad bought the Ty new as a demo model in 1993, first titled owner. Been stored every winter, and babied but for some reason it blew apart one of the Pistons a few years ago, and ever since it's been a nightmare lol. It's not pretty to look at after the damage the shade tree mechanic did putting the motor back in this last time...Scratch on the hood, dents in the tailgate from someone pushing it by hand against the tailgate, right front cladding broken off...ugh it's sickening.

Before that, Gendrons put the motor back in after the first rebuild, and they didn't flush out the oil cooler, so pieces of metal that were the piston and rings before went right back through the motor again...fun stuff.

Cool I am from Averill Park, just got my own place in Albany last year. Let me know if you need help with anything. I'm PMing you some more info too.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

I could do the work for you. I am about 1 1/2 hour from the NY border off Route 90. I am just an enthusiast who does his own work and I have work on quite a few local SyTy's. I have all my own diagnostic and tuning equipment. Your Ty would sit inside my garage, I would want it done sooner than later (ie end of this month). If interested we can talk on the phone to either explore this further.
 

nastety92

New member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

I would recommend John at Xplicit Racing and Design in Woburn, MA. He is a member here and does a bunch of work on Sy Ty's. PM me if you need a phone number. I do not use anyone in CT anyone, I would still go back to the engine builder though.

Nick
 
Last edited:

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

NASTETy92 said:
I would recommend John at Xplicit Racing and Design in Worcester, MA. He is a member here and does a bunch of work on Sy Ty's. PM me if you need a phone number. I do not use anyone in CT anyone, I would still go back to the engine builder though.

Nick

good to know. :tup:

and for what it is worth, I'd let dgoodhue work on any of my cars/trucks.. he knows his stuff.
 

mattw

Active member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

I second going with dgoodhue. Like Eric I would have no problem letting him work on my trucks and I am very particular and do all of my own work..


-Matt
 

toolmann

Member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

NASTETy92 said:
I would recommend John at Xplicit Racing and Design in Worcester, MA. He is a member here and does a bunch of work on Sy Ty's. PM me if you need a phone number. I do not use anyone in CT anyone, I would still go back to the engine builder though.

Nick

when did John @ Xplicit move out of Woburn??
 

ColinMc

New member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

Thanks a lot guys for all the input. Turns out there is someone closer! I'm going to call dgoodhue when I get home from work so we can figure out if he wants to tackle it lol. Hearing recommendations from other members and seeing some of his other millions of posts helps ease my mind heh.

Thanks,
Colin
 

nastety92

New member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

NASTETy92 said:
I would recommend John at Xplicit Racing and Design in Woburn, MA. He is a member here and does a bunch of work on Sy Ty's. PM me if you need a phone number. I do not use anyone in CT anyone, I would still go back to the engine builder though.

Nick

Dont know what you are talking about
(Last edited by NASTETy92 : Today at 09:42 PM.)
 

toolmann

Member
Re: SyTy specialists in the NE?

NASTETy92 said:
Dont know what you are talking about
(Last edited by NASTETy92 : Today at 09:42 PM.)

your original post said 'Worcester, MA'...that is why i asked...
whatever.
 
Top