Starter won't disengage

Jimmy

Banned
Sometimes when my truck is hot and I start it,the starter won't disengage.I shut the key off and it keeps on cranking.The only way to get it to stop is to pull the battery cable off.Never happens when the truck is cold.
I have a remote battery and have checked the cable to make sure it's not grounding out on the frame.I figure the problem is either in the starter or the ignition switch,could it also be a bad voltage regulator? Any suggestions welcome.
 

Jimmy

Banned
Man this is just great :-?
I put a new solenoid on my starter-get nothing.No click,not a sound.So I pull the purple wire out of the loom by the brake booster and replace it with 10 gauge.Nothing still. Decide to try the old screwdriver trick and the son of a bitch started cranking and wouldn't stop.I pulled the battery cable off to make it quit.Decided to put it in gear and see what would happen.As soon as I touch the cable to the battery it starts cranking,with the ignition switch turned off. :eek:

So now I figure it must be the ignition switch.

Any suggestions welcome.
 

TyMeUp

New member
(This is assuming that the solenoid plunger return spring is there and in good shape.)

First, remove the 'purple' wire only from the solenoid. Then activate the starter using a remote switch (or your screwdriver). If it still doesn't stop cranking, replace the complete starter.

The last time I saw this condition, the starter's aluminum end frame was 'cracked'. When cranking the engine, the end frame would distort and trap the solenoid plunger in the engaged position.
 

Jimmy

Banned
Thanks for the tip.I put a brand new solenoid on the starter,so I don't think it's the problem.I will try your suggestion,thanks... ::brews::
 

Jimmy

Banned
TyMeUp said:
(This is assuming that the solenoid plunger return spring is there and in good shape.)

First, remove the 'purple' wire only from the solenoid. Then activate the starter using a remote switch (or your screwdriver). If it still doesn't stop cranking, replace the complete starter.

The last time I saw this condition, the starter's aluminum end frame was 'cracked'. When cranking the engine, the end frame would distort and trap the solenoid plunger in the engaged position.
And once again the board comes through! :D
There was a hairline crack in the starter case.I never would have seen it if I hadn't been looking for it.The truck is operational once again.Thanks a bunch man,I was lost.
 
Top