sloppy suspension

asrnj77

..hard to swallow
Hi Guys, I was reading some old posts and was wondering if I could get some sugestions to pinpoint what needs to be addressed first. My ty is driving nice but the front end feels very sloppy its hard to describe but it almost feels as though the body of the truck moves before the frame does. The guy before me had an alignment done in June and the paperwork says 4 wheel alignment done but has play in tie rod ends Is the solution just replacing the tie rod ends? Is there a brand that's better than the others? Thanks!
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: sloppy suspension

Hi Guys, I was reading some old posts and was wondering if I could get some sugestions to pinpoint what needs to be addressed first. My ty is driving nice but the front end feels very sloppy its hard to describe but it almost feels as though the body of the truck moves before the frame does. The guy before me had an alignment done in June and the paperwork says 4 wheel alignment done but has play in tie rod ends Is the solution just replacing the tie rod ends? Is there a brand that's better than the others? Thanks!

The rear wheels don't don't have any alignment adjustments, but anyways.

The sloppy tie rods could be worn tie rods (replace them while your at it), but it more likely slop in the idler arm. I would also replace the pitman arm while your at it. If Ball Joints and Shocks are worn out they will also make for a sloppy driving. If you have wider than stock tires, it will also amplify the problem.
 

nello

Active member
Re: sloppy suspension

I'd check the pitman and idler arm too. Mine went to shit and the steering was so sloppy I didn't even drive it until I fixed it. Luckly, it a cheap part. Unluckly, it's one of those major PITA jobs that you thought was going to be easy.
 

dutchty

Member
Re: sloppy suspension

Also replacing the stock steering shaft for a jeep one will rule out the slopy stock steering feeling.
IMG_1076.jpg

because the stock 2 piece steering shaft is joined on the lower side with cheapo rubber.
I thougt five to drive sells them or go to the junkyard.
About the Tie Rods sleves, i've replced them with the edelbrock ones p/n 5252
IMG_1725.jpg
 

Chest Rockwell

Active member
Re: sloppy suspension

best way is to just replace all the parts and be done.

Exactly. This is one of those jobs where you'll regret later not doing it all at once. If you've got the time and cash, probably would be a good idea to throw a ZQ8 box in there, too, while everything else is out of the way. The bummer about steering parts is if you only do half of the parts, it still needs to be aligned to see if there's a difference. If not, you need to spend more money to replace the other half of the parts, and have it aligned again. Going through this myself :roll:.
 

BoostedSUV

Active member
Re: sloppy suspension

I replaced the idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, ball joints, steering box, steering shaft and had an alignment done. The truck is still sloppy and rides like a snake down the road. It all started when I put the wide tires up front. It got better with a front end rebuild but it's still not great. Only thing left to change is the control arm bushings...
 

mildtowild

Custom Upholsterer
Re: sloppy suspension

best way is to just replace all the parts and be done.

Thats what i did. inners, outers, idler, pitman, control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints and TORSION BAR crossmener mounts. both mine came out in 2 pieces. a world of difference.
 

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: sloppy suspension

I did all the suspension and steering replacement parts, steering box, steering shaft, and coilovers. The coilovers obviously meant I was getting new control arm bushings and that was a good thing because my control arm bushings were hammered. Put it all together and it made a night and day difference. My Sy drove like a semi truck before so I couldn't believe how much better it handled. Don't forget sway bar bushings and if you have any extra cash, throw a rear sway bar on it. It'll be a new truck. :tup:
 

Daveman2

Autox Blazer
Re: sloppy suspension

I did all the suspension and steering replacement parts, steering box, steering shaft, and coilovers. The coilovers obviously meant I was getting new control arm bushings and that was a good thing because my control arm bushings were hammered. Put it all together and it made a night and day difference. My Sy drove like a semi truck before so I couldn't believe how much better it handled. Don't forget sway bar bushings and if you have any extra cash, throw a rear sway bar on it. It'll be a new truck. :tup:

holy sh*T these things didn't come with rear sways?

Yeah if you don't have a rear sway I'd toss one on ASAP, I just had worn polyuro swaybar bushings and just replacing those made a difference, I've never had the experience of driving my truck without a rear sway, but I bet it wouldn't handle very well :lol:

And I agree with these guys, I'd do the balljoints and all steering components all at once.
 

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: sloppy suspension

holy sh*T these things didn't come with rear sways?

Yeah if you don't have a rear sway I'd toss one on ASAP, I just had worn polyuro swaybar bushings and just replacing those made a difference, I've never had the experience of driving my truck without a rear sway, but I bet it wouldn't handle very well :lol:

And I agree with these guys, I'd do the balljoints and all steering components all at once.

Yeah I didn't know what I was missing out on because it didn't have one but it made a noticeable difference.
 

Chedarbob90

White Trash Racing
Re: sloppy suspension

Both of mine have this damn problem, starts to get get expensive after awhile... But i did the b-j's(ball joints) in mine and regret not doing all the other b.s. with the suspension and steering up front at one time.
 
Top