Please help me order the right exhaust system!

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
Jordan. Try this. Run a vacuum line to the side of the WG and plug the top vacuum port on the wastegate. Take it out and see what happens. I bet it will overboost. If it does, then you know your problem is that the controller is venting pressure. If it only makes 15psi with the top port closed, then your turbo is bad or your manifold/intercooler is leaking. Let me know what happens.
 

tealty

New member
Hey Mike,
Could I just try to disconnect the vac. line to the wastegate and see if the exhaust gasses do open the valve up without the help of the turbo opening it?
thanks
Jordan
 

spooldup

Super Member
The notch is a bend they put in the pipe to make acess to the plug. The gate.....i am not sure what you mean?
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
Jordan. You could try with no vacuum line or plug, but the exhaust gases *might* still open the valve. The best bet is to run a line to the side of the gate. Keep the top line open.. should make base boost. Plug the top port, and you should make lots of boost.

As for black foon. A notch in the pipe seems like it would create a restriction. If you have a 3" downpipe mandrel bend with a 1/2" notch then your downpipe will flow no better then stock. If you had a custom one made, why couldnt they address the issue and just route the piping away from the plug?
 

smeagol

Active member
I believe if you put a line to the side, and plug the top, you will still get base boost. Plug or no plug, there is nothing acting on that side of the diaphgragm. It would be like a regular single port actuator on an integral wastegate. ATR's wastegates come plugged.

Better is to rig it up dual port style.
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
wstgate.gif


hooking it up this way, if you tighten the regulator down, the boost will go up. In my expirience, limiting the airflow from the top port will increase the boost. no??
 

smeagol

Active member
No, full boost to both sides of the diaphragm, and nothing happens, so basically the exhaust just fights the spring pressure, which is pretty high in an external gate. Full boost to both sides would mean the regulator is full open. Close it up, and it is like you have a plug on the top port, or it open to atmosphere, and you have full boost to the side port, giving you base boost.

The Innovative controller will put full boost to the top actuator to hold the wastegate shut, then full boost to the side actuator to open it quickly..
 

tealty

New member
Mike,

Before I had an electric boost controller, I had that exact same setup with the HKS gate on my ty. I found that the more I opened the regulator, the more boost I had. I know a dual port setup would work with the Innovative gate to get more boost. I'm just trying to get more boost with the single port setup I am running with the electronic b.c. Maybe I can run the electronic controller AND the pressure regulator. I haven't gotten under the truck to mess with it yet though.
Later
Jordan
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
I thought with most electronic controllers you can only make 150% of the base spring pressure. I am pretty sure that was the case with the HKS. I know with the innovative one you can run up to 60psi. Maybe this is your problem.

I have always tested the WG like I mentioned above. And to the best of my memory it always worked like that. maybe i am forgetting something. Brian seems to think I am missing something :smile:
 
Top