Performance Issues

drainey

New member
Hello All- I am really new to the Syclone world but have been fixing up #1577. I purchased the truck from a repair shop that took it in on payment for repairs. The truck has 48,000 miles. The shop replaced the motor with a new one and several other things but it still doesn't seem to run exactly right. They also replaced the fuel filter, fuel tank, fuel pump, injectors, distributor, temperature sensor (2 wire sensor on intake), O2 sensor and Idle air control valve. Since I've had it I've also replaced the vacuum lines with the Sportsmachine silicone lines, NGK spark plugs and the Ice plug wires and distributor cap (all from Sportsmachines). It also had an old chip that was installed by a previous owner that I removed and left the stock chip in the truck. The truck as a whole is completely stock other than the engine replacement, no catalytic converter (previously removed) and aftermarket muffler since the OG was rusted. Typically when I start it cold, it seems to run really well. After I drive it and get it up to temp and turn it off and go to restart it, it doesn't want to idle very well. I typically have to feather the gas while braking to keep it from dying. Usually after that, once i get going it seems to get better but still seems to run pretty flat and almost stumbles until the turbo engages and helps move it along. I've got part numbers for all the items the shop replaced and they all seem to be your local AutoZone part numbers but all applicable for this truck. I have considered buying a turbotweek chip and a 3 bar MAP sensor but don't really know if that will help with the issue or not. I don't have scan tool and quite frankly, not much understanding of how a lot of this truck works. Most of my past mechanical experience is shade tree at best, older mid 70's Fords that are all pretty straight forward. Any help or insight is really appreciated!
 

Goodgollyjosh

Active member
There are a lot of people here with much more knowledge on the Syclones than myself but I also have IAC issues. I have talked with Turbo Tweak and they do not recommend purchasing their stuff if you have idle problems. They said their equipment will not likely solve the issue. They did mention that after market throttle bodies can sometimes cause problems with IAC issues. I do in fact have a BBK throttle body, but I know yours is stock. You can jump two pins on the OBD1 port and read the CEL flashes to see if you have any codes. Otherwise, you could data log it with Tuner Pro and Code 59 Software and I'm sure there are a few guys on here that could read your logs and maybe offer some help. Good luck, keep us posted!
 

drainey

New member
Thanks guys, your insight is much appreciated. I will dig into both suggestions and see what happens and post back if there's any success!
 

drainey

New member
No video yet IGottaSy, I am still working through the issue along with now trying to get the brakes to bleed properly. Once I get confident in the brakes I will take it on a drive and see about videoing as well. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
 

drainey

New member
Just as an update and for info for future members- I swapped out my MAP Sensor with a new one and that seems to really help. I am unsure what MAP sensor was on it (2 bar or 3 bar) but went back with a 2 bar. I question which one it had since it had an old chip installed when I bought it. I had removed the chip due to bad performance.
 
Top