OBDI aldl communication

L

lotyphoon

Guest
Hi there!

:eek:
Has anybody any info/links regarding how to communicate with the Typhoon ECU via OBDI.

I' looking for addresses to parameters like speed, rpm etc and ofcourse how to do initial handshake via OBDI

//L-O
 

InvisiBill

Active member
Barry Tisdale (Sy #26) wrote a program to monitor ALDL data, and I've seen several programs with definitions for the SyTy ECM. Most people just use DataMaster, unless you're looking to do something custom with this...
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
I was thinking about doing something custom.. using a microcontroller and a 4x20 lcd, simply to display data, ie: boost/knock/rpm/speed/etc all on a neat little lcd screen...

Ive seen a few pics of people doing similar things from what Ive gathered they are doing it with their custom chips, maybe even the ultimate.. I really wish someone would donate their sy/ty to me, so I could play with the ecm and maybe do some programming, it kinda sucks not having a truck to learn on..

:cry:
 

turbodig

Active member
smaug said:
I was thinking about doing something custom.. using a microcontroller and a 4x20 lcd, simply to display data, ie: boost/knock/rpm/speed/etc all on a neat little lcd screen...

Ron Gregory (of fuel pump fame) beat you to that... he showed me a
gadget that he built a couple years back that was pretty much what you
describe.

Ive seen a few pics of people doing similar things from what Ive gathered they are doing it with their custom chips, maybe even the ultimate.. I really wish someone would donate their sy/ty to me, so I could play with the ecm and maybe do some programming, it kinda sucks not having a truck to learn on..

:cry:


You don't need a truck, just an ECM. I've got one on the desk here, and
it talks ALDL all day long. Only thing it's hooked up to is power.

All the comm info is in the SyTy ECM .pdf doc... pretty much tells ya how
to do it.

I wrote a VB app a couple years back that talks to the ALDL stream...
the trick is making them portable across all the different CPUs and
UARTS out there.

Datamaster kinda makes anything you'd do moot, IMO. Unless you were
just doing it for fun, and not to produce.

It'd be pretty tough to develop and produce something cheaper than the
DM hardware/software, unless you went open source. Again, IMO.


Later,

Dig
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
dig - wanna share that pdf file..

and basically, I'm not really looking to do it for production reasons but more for learning and accomplishing something of the sort.. good idea about gettin a ecm.. might have to ask the northeast people if anyone has an extra lying around.. Im in my senior year of college majoring in computer engineering, Id really like to have a senior design project that actually interests me, and a "display" of all the info from the ecm would most likely be an exceptable project and it would interest me.. hell if someone else already did it, im sure i could come up with questions to ask them..

Im pretty familar with assembly, especially motorola hc11 assembly, I was looking at a decompiled version of what is in a stock sy/ty ecm, its an interesting program, extremely long and indepth.. although as we all know improvements can be made (BG, and the canucks) :D

I saw someone on gmecm/diy-efi setting up a "full" electronic system sensors and all on their desk, that would be a hell of alot of work but also fun. Im just throwing out some ideas so that when it comes time to start my senior design project I have a good idea of what I would like to accomplish.
 

turbodig

Active member
accelerate said:
There's a company in Colorado that just came out with a scantool for the SyTy. They held an open house for Denver Front-range SyTy's recently.
Try http://www.turbo-link.com

That bugger.... I badgered him for years to port T-link to the Sy/Ty...
wouldn't listen to me. :)

Seriously, though, Ken was actually one of the original Sy/Ty mailing list
members, back in the day. There was only like 12 or so of us at the
time.

Nice to see there's other scan tool options. I also see he's offering an
an adapter to use a USB only laptop with the scan tool. This might be
quite helpful to folks who have been having trouble making that setup
work.

Later,

Dig
 

smeagol

Active member
Yup, Ken's been around for a long time. Very nice guy, and knows his stuff.

I dunno how we didn't hear of this coming along... I'd like to check the software out, see how it looks for a Syty.

Wonder if he'd accomodate changing the AFR field for the wideband users..hummm. Expensive to change over to that from Diacom/Datamaster at this point.

Next time I spend any amount of money on ECM related stuff, it'll be on AEM probably :wink:
 

Rufus

New member
What exactly do you want to see for the wide-band AFR readout? It could be added to datamaster as a new item in the select units display.

Gary
 
K

kenmosher

Guest
Been a long time!

Been a long time!

Hi Dig! :D Kind nice to come "back" ... I was pointed to this by a friend!

Whacha complaining about? I finally listened! :)

... and a big HI to all ... been awhile, but kinda nice to see how you guys have GROWN!

What do you guys want for AEM? We have a really neat tool that allows for building screens and configurations pretty quickly (a matter of a couple hours if someone wants to work with us)...

We're excited to have the new version out and about. We've done pretty extensive testing on trucks with both the 2 BAR and 3 BAR setups and it's slick!

More stuff is coming out soon as "VehiclePaks" that are downloadable from the website for free as we get testing done on other vehicles. Next on the block are kind eclectic (including GM diesel trucks, of all things!), but we should be pounding out new vehicles pretty quickly.
 

smeagol

Active member
Rufus said:
What exactly do you want to see for the wide-band AFR readout? It could be added to datamaster as a new item in the select units display.

Gary

No need at this point, as Dig modded code so the AFR field reads out *actual* AFR of all things ;) (rather than AFR readout from table entries)

Thanks though :)
 
Top