New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Alright, here's a new thread so we can focus on more of what we would like to do with the new website.

Eric and Dave have expressed interest in working on the members database and I know Eric has already started messing around with it. Chris said he had a good friend that could also help out if need be, so thats another option we have but if we can keep it "in house" that would be great.

Eric also mentioned having a project manager for this, since its going to involve more than one person and its going to be a little more than an overnight re-do since none of us have 40 hours a week to devote to this thing. Both Eric or I could possibly do it, but if anyone else would like to step up and keep this thing organized, speak up. Just FYI, we've already discussed having the database up and running by Feb. 28th, 2006. If we could have a mock database earlier than that it would be great, but thats all we've penciled in for the moment.

I have no problem handling the graphics end of the website, so thats in the bag.

Some other things that need to be discussed are:

1. Color scheme for the new site (currently gray w/ maroon, formerly 3 shades of blue)
2. What else do you want to see or needs to be added?
3. Any other thoughts and ideas?


Feel free to link up some other websites for examples or even just making a post with you :2cents: would be helpful.
 

NateP

Money Pit Member
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

I would like to have a section dedicated to build progress, mod pics, that type of thing.

ex: Nates Never Ending Project Sy

Where people could give me the good/bad of my work, advice, or just bust my balls for not finishing it yet. Sort of the way you set up the Project Ugly Duckling thread here.

An actual calender with events on it. I know that stating "Meet June 10th in CT" should be enough, but actually looking at a calendar, and seeing the weekend in the grand scheme of things works best. Having the calendar linked to the thread about the meet would be good too.

Those are two that I thought of right now...

Nate
 

Junior1

NASTE Member
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

I like the calandar part, with the link connecting directly to the syty.net thread or the naste page that posts the announcement with info and directions to the meet.

Colorwise I like the 92 Typhoon color scheme from here

You can also do the member map thing
 

Raist103

Engine Killer, iPhone Killer, Lawnmower Killer
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

i 2nd this



Junior1 said:
I like the calandar part, with the link connecting directly to the syty.net thread or the naste page that posts the announcement with info and directions to the meet.

Colorwise I like the 92 Typhoon color scheme from here

You can also do the member map thing
 

Junior1

NASTE Member
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

I'd also like to add a web store portion to the site and sell some NASTE apparel (hats, tshirts, sweatshirts, dvd's and stickers, etc.) Have the profits go towards running NASTE as well as funding awards at the 'nats and maybe even sponsor a banner ad at syty.net
I'm almost certain I have an e-commerce template floating around for the site so we're not talking any extra expense.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

Junior1 said:
I'd also like to add a web store portion to the site and sell some NASTE apparel (hats, tshirts, sweatshirts, dvd's and stickers, etc.) Have the profits go towards running NASTE as well as funding awards at the 'nats and maybe even sponsor a banner ad at syty.net
I'm almost certain I have an e-commerce template floating around for the site so we're not talking any extra expense.

this might be a no-no..
webhosting is free as long as any site I host does not make a profit or represent a business.. if management found out it could be my job.

but that doesn't mean we can't link to a cafe express site or anything. :D
 

Junior1

NASTE Member
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

smaug said:
but that doesn't mean we can't link to a cafe express site or anything. :D

thats exactly what I had in mind...

worse case I can get the whole site hosted free through my partner if it really came down to it
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

Junior1 said:
thats exactly what I had in mind...

worse case I can get the whole site hosted free through my partner if it really came down to it

hosting isn't an issue, selling things for profit is.. I'm sure I could sneak it by and claim its a non-profit club, I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with it.

besides I like having full control and the ability to learn. :tup:
 

Junior1

NASTE Member
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

OK sounds good. Any timeframe when this is getting ok'd or voted on ?
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

yaaaaaaa, i personally would like to keep everything ":in house",. nbot that i would object to any outside help, pbut im kinda drunk righjt now so who knows what im really thingking, lol
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

Junior1 said:
OK sounds good. Any timeframe when this is getting ok'd or voted on ?

going to try to have a backend/db and some stuff done by sometime in feb.. I can really only work on it a few nights a week with my work schedule.. :(
 

Junior1

NASTE Member
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

what about the store portion? need approval or can I make some moves ?
 

GMCSyclone1

NASTE MEMBER
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

Junior1 said:
I'd also like to add a web store portion to the site and sell some NASTE apparel (hats, tshirts, sweatshirts, dvd's and stickers, etc.) Have the profits go towards running NASTE as well as funding awards at the 'nats and maybe even sponsor a banner ad at syty.net
I'm almost certain I have an e-commerce template floating around for the site so we're not talking any extra expense.

Well I'm with Morgan as I am a little drunk right now but this idea sounds good to me if we could get it going along with the calender idea too.
 

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY
Re: New NASTE Website (Thoughts Needed)

I'd like to see a "Join" feature on the homepage...not just on the "members" page.

I also think some truck photos (one of each) on the homepage would be primo.

One way around the direct selling thing would be to just include some photos of people wearing NASTE-gear. That group photo from the GM mag for example would work nicely to promote the shirts. Then, just include an email addy for ordering.

More later...
 
Top