My cheap/rigged HID setup

Bustedsm

Numbered Car Crazy
Well, being as broke and a big drinker as I am I've decided to do this because I'm bored and well the obvious, it was CHEAP AS HELL!

To begin with, I ordered these headlights from ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-8...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

7147.gif


and bought this HID kit from sharphid.com (www.sharphid.com)

ddmkit.jpg


....then a little bit of this

coors.jpg



Now you're wondering, wow...how can someone mess up such a nice and rare truck like this! Well, I needed some better lighting other than these composite pieces of junk and the setup is cheap (for now.) I will however eventually do a true retrofit in a NICE pair of 5x7 lights but this will do.

Started with this, notice how they aren't true sealed projectors, at all.

3247146146_0ddf1567a1_b.jpg

3247147164_cdda142501_b.jpg


Pretty shitty huh? Yeha, the light output sucked horribly.

Then after a few more of these....(two to be exact) you can cut to fit and paint like so.

3246321225_0ffb84866b_b.jpg

3246322245_89281f28f6_b.jpg

3247150446_a21655541f_b.jpg


You end up with something like this (not 100% done or sealed)

3247151350_8fed189f45_b.jpg

3246325163_7aa48fc258_b.jpg


Not too shabby for under $150!

Flame suite on!
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

what are you going to use to correct the beam pattern so you dont blind everyone on the road?
 

Bustedsm

Numbered Car Crazy
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

why do you have your pants off for the last Pic?

Those pants were from the other day, I still had clothes on :rotf:

Not sure on pattern correction, I didn't think that completely through because of how already shady the setup was to begin with. We'll see how the light output is though in comparison.
 

blazinmt

New member
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

Sweet idea:tup:

Those lights will blind the crap outa everyone if you don't figure out a cut-off though.
 

Bustedsm

Numbered Car Crazy
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

Wow, I'm surprised I'm getting such a collective bunch of good responses. Took the flame suite off and put my pants back on too! lol

I'm finishing them up here in a second after this can....tastes soo good going down lol
 

Bustedsm

Numbered Car Crazy
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

Looks like they are gona be pretty cool! Let us know how bright they are installed

I just finished sealing one and I'm letting it sit, doesn't look like there is all that much more lighting than before but it's not dark enough to really tell. I also don't think there is going to be a definitive cutoff line like a true sealed projector. Like I said though, this is just for the hell of it because it was cheap and I'm bored. I'll be doing a full write up on a true sealed projector in a 5x7" setup here in the next couple of months.
 
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

I made a setup using the diamond reflective (No projector) H4 Halo conversions, and just aimed them down to where normal halogen lights are aimed... never been high beamed...the HID bulbs have a shield that blocks the bottom half of the bulb, so only the top half emits light, which reflects down to the ground, and not up in everyone's face... I know its not a perfect cutoff setup...but it definately doesnt blind you... they almost seem OEM....and they make a HUGE difference... the end result cost me about $120
 

Bustedsm

Numbered Car Crazy
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

I made a setup using the diamond reflective (No projector) H4 Halo conversions, and just aimed them down to where normal halogen lights are aimed... never been high beamed...the HID bulbs have a shield that blocks the bottom half of the bulb, so only the top half emits light, which reflects down to the ground, and not up in everyone's face... I know its not a perfect cutoff setup...but it definately doesnt blind you... they almost seem OEM....and they make a HUGE difference... the end result cost me about $120


Yeah, I'm not so worried about a perfect cutoff, I'll eventually do a true retrofit like I said above :D
 

THEMADTYPH00N

Active member
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

A while back I saw someone had some shields that went over the tops of the blubs to block any light that got scattered upwards. Anyone know where to get them?
 

Bustedsm

Numbered Car Crazy
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

A while back I saw someone had some shields that went over the tops of the blubs to block any light that got scattered upwards. Anyone know where to get them?

My H4's came with them on the bottom...the concept is to force the light up into the diamond part of the headlight and angle it down and outwards.

Well, there is no definitive cutoff like I had suspected but holy crap these are bright as hell!
 
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

What exactly will your retrofit consist of? I also did my setup just as a "for now" setup...and I'm interested in how to do it the right way... is there a setup out there that gives a good/perfect cutoff but doesnt look weird? (appearance-wise)

The last solution I heard of consisted of a projector like yours, but the rest of the lens was painted the body color of the truck...:barf: ( a white square with a tiny little projector hole)

I'm looking for a clean cut-off line, without anything ugly going on in the lens...
 

Bustedsm

Numbered Car Crazy
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

What exactly will your retrofit consist of? I also did my setup just as a "for now" setup...and I'm interested in how to do it the right way... is there a setup out there that gives a good/perfect cutoff but doesnt look weird? (appearance-wise)

The last solution I heard of consisted of a projector like yours, but the rest of the lens was painted the body color of the truck...:barf: ( a white square with a tiny little projector hole)

I'm looking for a clean cut-off line, without anything ugly going on in the lens...


The only true retrofit is getting your hands on a nice set of TSX projectors or similar and forming them into your headlights with some cutting and drilling. Search HID on here and look for a post that has a link to the s-series forums and you'll see what a true retrofit HID looks like.

It will result in a perfect cutoff and although it might look a little offy it's the right way to do it.
 

denny

Active member
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

My brother owns http://www.gothidxenon.com/ , he gave a kit to try on the fogs for the ty.
He told me it was going to plug and play but he was wrong., I will post some pic.

edit: I didnt mean to steal your post.. I will post a new topic..
 
Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: My cheap/rigged HID setup

Wow, I'm surprised I'm getting such a collective bunch of good responses. Took the flame suite off and put my pants back on too! lol

I'm finishing them up here in a second after this can....tastes soo good going down lol

Ill flame you if the spread is all over the place :lol: Otherwise I have no problems with people attempting DIY projects :D
 
Top