More IC problems I think....

Maaso

New member
Aight, I talked to the turbo guru at work today....and gave him a ride at lunch.

Apparently I got deto....and lots of it. The noise Ive been hearing that somebody said sounded like a bunch of marbles going down my intake...I thought that noise was my turbo spooling down(dont make fun of me, I know nothing about turbos)

We lookd at my IC set up, and its bone dry....didnt even smell like coolent in there, and my overflow resivour thingy had dirt and other nasty shit in it. So its been like that for a while to my understanding. So we went to the gas station and got some 50/50 and poured it into the IC. It "cavitated" or whatever, bubbled some...then just sit there. It didnt circulate or anything. And I only poured about 1/8 of the bottle in there, so it didnt hold a lot.

And ideas or anything? Or suggestions? Is it still safe to drive as long as Im nice to it and dont try to make any boost?

Mitch-
 

skipztt

boost
Re: More IC problems I think....

well it sounds like from what ur saying you ic pump is shot. you should easily see it circulating with the cap off. try and run a legit hot wire to the pump to see if the wiring is bad. if the pump is shot..i would suggest getting a new one. and hotwire it.

also i would try and flush out the system if you think theres alot of the nesty crap your talking about in it.
 

91blazins10

Active member
Re: More IC problems I think....

Make sure your radiator has coolant, being that everything is empty. First I would buy a new intercooler pump from one of our vendors then I would do this http://www.sytyarchives.com/howto/viewarticle.php?article_name=ic_pump_hotwire.php&dir=engine so that it runs all the time, if you dont hotwire it, the stock chip turns it on at 200 degrees. I wouldnt drive around without a properly working intercooler but thats just me, if you dont go into boost at all you should be ok.

Clean out the overflow and you can cap off the hose coming from the intercooler, in a properly working system it wont overflow heres a pic of mine.




159_5951.jpg
 

Maaso

New member
Re: More IC problems I think....

Was your intake leaking a little bit there bud? Lol, looks like everyone of my vehicles. 'Cept for the 70, I let it leak...its newer technology. Where as it changes its own oil every couple hundred miles.

91blazins10 said:
 

91blazins10

Active member
Re: More IC problems I think....

:lol: yea after it sat this past winter it developed a leak there, ill prob take it all apart this winter and clean it all up.
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: More IC problems I think....

Once you get your intercooler filled and a pump installed and hotwired.. you'll get to the fun part of getting all the air out of the system :)

One thing that tended to help me more then other things was to leave the cap off the ic over night.
 

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"
Re: More IC problems I think....

After the clean out / flush of the I/C system and verifying the pump works or replacing it., seperate the I/C from the overflow tank and only run 50/50 in the winter to prevent freezing. In the summer run distilled water and Redline Water Wetter (if you live where it never gets cold enought to freeze, then run it year round!). Ditch the metal I/C lines on the engine and go with 3/4 rubber hose!

___________
James
 

Ross L

Member
Re: More IC problems I think....

about that noise. Does it happen when you're "on the throttle" or letting off?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: More IC problems I think....

It takes a little bit of effort to purge the system of air. My IC take 1/2 gallon of liquid, but you can't just pour in all at once. To jump the IC pump, just put a paper clip between the A & B terminals of the ALDL coonector under the dash

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/dgoodhue//aldl.gif

It probably won't work.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: More IC problems I think....

dgoodhue said:
It takes a little bit of effort to purge the system of air. My IC take 1/2 gallon of liquid, but you can't just pour in all at once. To jump the IC pump, just put a paper clip between the A & B terminals of the ALDL coonector under the dash

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/dgoodhue//aldl.gif

It probably won't work.

That is also how you will be able to interpret why your "Check engine" light is on if it is illuminated. You can see what the various codes are and what they mean here. There is also a fuse for the intercooler pump behind the alternator that might be blown as well:
IMG_0220.sized.jpg


Chances are that pump is toast since there wasn't any coolant in the system. If the pump was in working order, running it with no coolant would have burned it up long ago since the coolant keeps the pump cool when it is running...

If you need a new intercooler pump. Ron Gregory's company Auto Performance Engineering in Garland, TX is a great place to get them from. He also sells Walbro fuel pumps as well as safety loops and hood prop eliminators kits by Phil Chivers. He has been supporting these trucks long before I got mine eight years ago.
 

Maaso

New member
Re: More IC problems I think....

Does it make a difference between me being on of off the throttle when it makes the "noise"?
 

Ross L

Member
Re: More IC problems I think....

off the throttle is the infamous "Turbo flutter, sneezing, whatever you want to call it" not detonation. Careful of those "turbo guru's". A regular mechanic would probably have the same reaction as most "normal" people when the throttle shuts..... WTF :rotf:
 

SY756

New member
Re: More IC problems I think....

Maaso said:
Does it make a difference between me being on of off the throttle when it makes the "noise"?

Well, if you just let off the throttle, then yes..When the throttle blades close all the boost doesn't have anywhere to go but back out the turbo, causing the "fluttering, noise,,etc."

I would do what everybody suggested above,,,,,get a new IC pump. BUT the main thing you need is a logging system..If you're getting detonation you need to find out what's going on. get that taken care of...

Just thinking here....what type of intake sytem to you have? Alot of the aftermarket stuff makes alot more noise... but if you are hearing "marbles" under FT then "THAT AIN'T GOOD" JHTH's
 

Maaso

New member
Re: More IC problems I think....

SY756 said:
get a new IC pump.

Im on vacation...so I got the next three days off, Im definitly gonna look more at it. And see what I need to do to make my truck happy again.

Ross L said:
off the throttle is the infamous "Turbo flutter, sneezing, whatever you want to call it" not detonation.

So Im getting all worked up over nothing then basically? And shouldnt worry as much?

SY756 said:
Just thinking here....what type of intake sytem to you have?

Stock intake, just have a dirty, worn out K&N on the end of the intake tube that crosses over the radiator.

SY756 said:
BUT the main thing you need is a logging system

Whats that?
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
Re: More IC problems I think....

Search the site for "datamaster" and read up.
 

Maaso

New member
Re: More IC problems I think....

So.....that basically tells me the same a scan tool will, 'cept it puts in graph mode?
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
Re: More IC problems I think....

You can learn a lot more about the condition of a truck from a datalog than you can from watching a scan tool. It's the difference between a calculator and a personal computer. Not to mention you can send your datalogs to others for review.
 
Top