McCoy information, everyone should read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostrider_85

New member
I mean seriously now, this sucks! Rick Ribbus, Richard lee, tom joy, and countless others have now experienced the wrath of poor quality and craftsmanship. I know that I don’t own a syclone anymore, but part of that is due to all this crap. I am tired of people coming to the aid of others, when their work simply speaks for itself. I mean lets be realistic, there has been a continuing tread here for a while, and someone has to finally put in his or her honest two cents and experience. Ok, they are nice guys and all, but I would be too if I could put together engines for thousands of dollars and have them continually fail after a few hundred miles. So don't get me wrong, I think they are nice, but who wouldn't be? Anyway, that’s not the point; the point is that ANYONE thinking of using his or her shop should tread very carefully. For instance, I was NEVER going to say anything about these guys, and I was going to keep my mouth shut, but I am sick and tired of always hearing about McCoy blunders from friends that I trust. No one here has to take my work for it, but at this point, not even owning a syclone or typhoon, why would I have any bias? Here is just some of the crap that I had to go through. We first went to get the truck, 30 grand later, and supposedly got a "SUPER MOTOR PLUS". McCoy says the tranny is slipping, so what the hell, lets put one of those SUPER 4L60's in too. Remember, NO FAILURES http://www.tobefast.com/trannypricing.htm , yeah right. I got home and put a total of a whooping 20 miles on the SUPER 4L60 and it was cooked. I didn’t even get one good launch over 15 psi ever in this truck. I only got a half dozen launches, and they were all in Kentucky, pretty weak if you ask me. anyway, the tranny was cooked. I was at a traffic light, and I was pulling out, the thing stuck in 1st gear. I just pulled out like I was driving a mini van. heck that time the truck only lasted a week before something major, which I payed to have "built" blew. now don’t get me wrong, I could accept this a little better if I would have been beating the hell out of it at the track, but I drive my minivan harder than I drove this thing. back to the details. McCoy said, "send it back". yeah right, and get some shawdy work again? I think not. I had a good friend here at home, who is a certified mechanic, who I trust dearly, and we took apart the "SUPER 4L60". we found that there were various materials used, such as various clutch packs with different composites. The entire housing was shot. It was a total hooch job from start to finish. most, if not all the parts were used. well, the story gets better. for McCoy to save face he tells me that he will get with his "tranny guy" and get to the bottom of this. I found out, through another source, that the "tranny guy" is his cousin. so McCoy knew what was going on. o, for all you skeptics at this point, it gets better. I was charged by McCoy for many new part, but found that my truck received used ones. the starter, electric fan, spark plug wires, valve covers, air intake system, dual air intercooler, distributor, ect. this list could probably be endless if I wanted it to be. that is another shady practice. if he wanted to charge me for new things, then give me the new things. don’t lie about it. another example, we took it back to him because the headers were melting everything under the hood. he told us that he solved the problem by re-routing all the wires under the hood. this was not true, we went back to pick it up and more things melted on the way back. we must have spent every night, for about a month, fixing careless mistakes. the tranny lines were leaned against the crossover pipe. they melted through. we had to replace them. the lower radiator hose was leaned against the crossover pipe that also melted though, leaving me stranded. see what I mean? carelessness and low quality of craftsmanship.

now here comes the dandy. the engine just blew up on the fellow that bought the truck from me, so I know his pain. we are talking a $35,000 motor that just falls apart after a few hundred miles of street driving at extremely low boost levels. come on now. I know for a fact that this is now just one of many engines that have prematurely failed from McCoy’s shop. I think that people should be forewarned that this shop is not what they make it out to be. the smartest thing to do is to do it yourself, or have someone local do it that you trust. then have someone, like a Brian Green, tune the truck. that’s the only way that you can assure yourself that you are getting what you are paying for. I have heard that the bottom end was shot in the syclone. the bearings went. that’s all I know at this point, but I am sure that more will surface as time progresses.

at this point, I really don’t care what anyone says here to this. it doesn’t matter to me, but I do think that you should all be warned, because I doubt anyone wants to wait a year, and have a truck for a week before it breaks and be out thousands of dollars in the process. like I stated before, I no longer have any ties, other than friends, to this community, so this is my truthful experience, no BS or BIAS here, just facts. I could easily go on and on with all the little things along the way, but that’s a total waist of time. bottom line, if your going to spend $40000, or $40, be wise in your decision, and take the advice of others that have already walked certain paths in the community. there are a lot of opinionated answers on the BB. and a lot of friendships, so I don’t mean to trample anyone's toes. but the bottom line is that I have NOTHING to gain by this, than to warn others, so they don’t fall into the same situation. Actions speak louder than words, and if business was good, would Ribbus, Lee, Joy, and countless others have experienced the same problems? I think not...

i can explain in more detail if neccessary :lol: , drop me a e-mail sometime if anyone wants to know anymore.
 

smeagol

Active member
I've seen his work, and I've seen your truck, and I've heard more than one story about you and your associates as well, Randy. I've heard you've gone through many motors in that truck, and that you have a problem with EVERY builder. People told me months ago that your truck would blow up, no matter who built it. Many people have told me not to deal with you, as you'd just cause problems, as you do with everyone who you deal with about your truck. After I worked on the truck and you received it, I heard from so many people that you were messing with it, the calibration, the ignition (Jacobs? come on), the wiring, everything, and were going to pin problems on Jerry. I heard you were running outrageous boost levels on pump gas. I heard you nearly overheated the motor on the way home one time. I heard you talk about having a problem, and hoping it would clear up, so you got into the throttle again. I'm sure you didn't share those situations with the new owner either.

I'm not going to proclaim Jerry as the savior, but I'm not going to sit here and let you say he was the death of your truck either, since I thought the work was top notch. Used parts? OMG, you worry about a set of 'used' valve covers or 'air intake system'? The plug wires I saw on the truck were brand spanking new. I look at them on every truck I tune, since ignition is such a bitch. If the 'air intake system' was used, it didn't look it. A silicone elbow and fresh K&N filter... eek... better hunt for a used one, those are hard to come by. Valve covers - used ones will definitely pop a motor, or cause a tranny to break. If you want to bitch about used parts, bitch about used pistons, valvetrain components, rods.... please....sounds plain ridiculous.

You have no clue what you are doing with Syty's, plain and simple, and are in no position to judge any work done.

You have made a ton of generalizations and many assumptions here as well.

Trannies - I've heard of and know of a million stories, I don't know of anyone that has the solution to a good 4L60 buildup, or any that can stand up to any sorts of high power levels. Haven't heard of one success story yet, of a tested tranny. Stockers have problems with 'em. Don't expect one that is behind a 600+ hp motor to live. Jerry uses Roadmaster Trannies in Chicago, who has done a bunch of Syty trannies. I don't think Bill is related to Jerry. I don't think Bill is the savior either, and can be downright difficult to deal with most times. Bill has had some awesome working trannies, and has had a few that have issues; Brian Hartman..same thing.... anyone else that ever does a 4L60... same thing. I don't know if you were snowed into believing that yours was bulletproof, don't know better, or what...

The new owner blew up the motor... do you have any specifics on this? Detonation will kill bearings in NO time. Jerry (and I even) flogged that motor many times before with no problems; so did you. All of a sudden, you drop it off with a new owner and he pops it.. does he know what overboost and detonation are, and how to handle a big hp Syclone motor? Most enthusiasts I know have more dollars than sense. Was the motor worth $35,000 itself? Looks like a super motor goes for $11,000. Ok, so it popped and the bearings went. The heads & block are probably still fine, most likely rods as well. Hmmm doesn't sound like a $35,000 loss. Ain't chumpchange either, but you get my point.

As far as the rest of the problems with McCoy stuff, I know of Richard's and Rick's. Not sure what Jerry's stance is on Richard's, I know that he is working with Rick. I know that Jerry has done over 30 Syty motors. I don't know of any builder that can claim 100% success with motors, let alone syty motors.. bearings and machinist issues are all too common. The other person who publicized his McCoy problems found that it was another shop's fault, yet never seemed to come back to the board and tell the rest of the people this. The valvetrain seems to be the source of most issues with Jerry's motors, and I'm not sure what the story is on this. I can name several people w/o McCoy motors who have problems with new motors; Jerry's doing a lot better than most IMO, at least you can get a hold of him on the phone. There are many people beating the crap outta McCoy motors out there too. As far as any warranty/guarantee on a race motor.. good luck. You won't get one; if you do, that shop will be out of business soon, or will be changing their policies.

It seems as though you are dealing with a lot of data that is questionable in its factual information, while leaving out a lot more of the story.

Yep, I'll even go on rants about vendors myself, but I think I have some expertise in the field, and can back up my info. I trust few vendors nowadays; Jerry is one of them I do trust.

I'll do the majority of any motor work I need in the future, so I know who to point the finger at though.


If your post was made by you to provide the new owner of your truck some peace of mind that you weren't at fault for the engine's demise, I'm sorry for any personal insults.
 

smeagol

Active member
Update:

Locking this thread here, go read about it in off topic or in one of the other forums that Randy posted about it, where it may still exist.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top