Low-buck tranny upgrades?

sy112

New member
I am about to embark on installing my new TC and was wondering about doing some upgrading of the tranny while I have it out.

The tranny has 92,xxx on it and still works fine, but has lost it's firmness on the shifts. The shift points are still where they need to be. I was wondering what I could do while I have it dropped to improve the shifting and not do a full bore rebuild of it (not enough funds after turbo kit and TC).

I know she is going to give out sooner or later, that will definately be the next upgrade, would just like to have some firm shifts until then.

I am absolutely tranny illiterate but am planning on learning a lot cause I have heard to many horror stories of messed up built trannies, I would rather mess it up myself.

I heard the trans-go kit would do me some good, but that is about it. thanks in advance for any info :)
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
my advice is dont put the new tc in until after you redo the tranny.

ya see when the tranny does go it will put metal into that new tc and then you have to replace the tc when you do the rebuild!

and the shift kit will only help to kill a tranny that like you say is on its way out. It may shift like a sob for a couple days or weeks but dont bet on it lasting for long.

especially since once you do the kit you will have your foot on it more often.
been there and done that!

ed
 

sy112

New member
thanks Ed, but I have considered that. I figure my TC will come out ok, just a good flushing and call it good. I don't drive my truck to often so I figure the tranny might last a little longer.

Besides, I can't leave the stock TC in, I am about to install my 60 kit and then I would have horrible spool up.

Anyone got a dirt cheap 3000 stall they want to part with so I don't have to worry about thrashing my Raptor converter? And I mean DIRT cheap :wink:
 

TyMeUp

New member
Cheapest quick fix:

AS1-01K.jpg


This TV cable spring kit will allow you to set the cable one 'click' tighter than OEM. This will raise TV pressure slightly to give you a firmer shift. It may also extend the tranny life since less slipage will occur during shifts.
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
you canhave my hughes 22-30l 3k stall for cheap but you will need to either get it cleaned just to play it safe or install a remote filter on the return line.

pm me.

ed


it was used for 3 weeks.
 
B

Blake

Guest
Ed, if that converter was in your tranny when you grenaded it, it MUST be taken apart. It will be full of everything that used to be in your tranny. Just putting a filter in the return line won't do it. There are two sometimes 3 torringtons in the converter itself. These will be junk and have to be replaced as well.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Blake said:
Ed, if that converter was in your tranny when you grenaded it, it MUST be taken apart. It will be full of everything that used to be in your tranny. Just putting a filter in the return line won't do it. There are two sometimes 3 torringtons in the converter itself. These will be junk and have to be replaced as well.

BTDT, reused my old torque converter (foolishly) after I got my transmission rebuilt last year before the NATS. Had to come back out of the truck with less than 500 miles. Dropped the pan and it was filled with shrapnel... Been out ever since :evil: And I even have a remote filter on the pressure line on my truck.

At first I was just going to tear it apart give it a good cleaning and replace any seals and whatnot that got hosed. But, I couldn't see filling a new Hughes torque converter with shrapnel when it blew again... So, now the plan is to spend a decent chunk of change to ensure that it stays together for awhile.

Mike Campbell
 
B

Blake

Guest
Mike, if you want, I can build your tranny for you since your so close. It'll take a few days but it can happen. We could meet at some half way point and I'll take it home. Won't take long with the contacts I have all around my house. If there are any problems I'm right here too.
We'd put the good stuff in it and not go too crazy and stay within your budget. You'd get the Jesse cost on the labor(I like O'Charlies!) :wink: PM me when your interested.
George
 

SY2932

Administrator
Just sent you a PM George :D ! Intend to order a universal spring compressor sometime this week as it's time to cut my teeth on THM-700R4 transmission rebuilding. Don't like paying big money to someone working on something that I know almost nothing about :-? . I want to KNOW that the parts that are supposed to be in there ARE in there and put in there CORRECTLY...

Mike Campbell
 

TyMeUp

New member
For those that were/are still interested.

AS1-01K.jpg


I found this kit at my local transmission rebuilder shop for about $4.00. It was hard to find listed on the internet because it doesn't have a consistant name. Every shop seems call it something different.

Continued searching finally turned one up at: http://www.powerglide.com/ (Part number: As1-01K-1 (TV cable corrector) - Price: $5.95)

If anyone would like to experience the effects of an over-adjusted TV cable, first do the normal cable adjustment (push cable release tab, pull cable housing away from throttle lever, move the throttle lever to wide open to adjust/'ratchet' the cable housing back toward throttle). Next, push the cable release tab and very carefully pull the cable housing away from the throttle about 1/8". Release the tab to lock the cable. Now you can road test the truck to 'feel' the results. You must be carefull not to use WOT during your road test. Doing so will 'adjust' the cable back to normal.

Installing the spring kit will allow you to retain the setting. When you go to WOT, the spring will compress with less force than it takes to pull the cable back to its OEM position.
 
Top