Key Alarm Sounding w/ No Key Inserted

Sy229

Move with Purpose
So Mona comes in from the garage and says the Typhoon is making a weird noise. I hadn't driven it in weeks, so I'm thinking it must be something else in the garage. Hmm, it is the Ty. Open the door to hear a very weak, intermittent buzzing sound near the steering column. It appears to be a short in the 'you-left-your-key-in-the-ignition' alarm, as it quits when I insert the key.
Drove the truck around hoping it would quit when I got back. Nope, there it goes again a few minutes after shutting down.
This key cylinder has also given me trouble on two previous occasions, not wanting to let go of the key once I shut the truck off.
I'm thinking I should just swap out the cylinder. Anyone else experience something similar?
 

sly dvl

Ya, it's got a Turbo
Re: Key Alarm Sounding w/ No Key Inserted

Are you sure it's not the "lights on" reminder? Cause that would quit when you put the key in too....
 

Sy229

Move with Purpose
Re: Key Alarm Sounding w/ No Key Inserted

Are you sure it's not the "lights on" reminder? Cause that would quit when you put the key in too....

You're right, that's a possibility too. With the buzzer sounding, I jiggled (tech term) the light rocker switches and the buzzing stopped...temporarily. I'm going to take a look at the electrical diagrams for the alarm and then attempt to isolate/troubleshoot the problem circuit.
 

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
Re: Key Alarm Sounding w/ No Key Inserted

Light switches could be wearing out. When my dash lights refused to work and my headlights wouldn't stay on, a new switch solved the issue. Cheap and easy fix.
 
Top