Intercooler pump fried...no spool in 1st

94c4lt1

New member
Hey guys,

Hopefully someone can help me out. I recently posted a thread (see it here:
http://www.syty.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16587&highlight=spool+1st)

about a code 43 and no spool in first. Well we corrected the code 43 by taking out the distributor shaft and replaced the majority of the components. The timing is 100% correct (checked many times).

Currently the syclone get no boost in first, 8 psi in second. We checked out the intercooler pump by hard wiring it on and it didn't work. Now, if we replace the intercooler pump will this solve our problem or is it something else? What else should we check/replace while doing the intercooler pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 

InvisiBill

Active member
How exactly did you wire the IC pump to test it? I could tell the Sy was acting funny when my IC pump died, but it didn't cause any major malfunctions. The coolant in the IC will still absorb some of the heat. It'll just get heatsoaked more quickly, since the hot coolant isn't passing through the heat exchanger. It was kinda sluggish, but nothing really seemed "wrong" with it... I'd say you have other problems too.

Had it on a scantool (Datamaster, Diacom, etc.) to see if anything else looks odd?
 

94c4lt1

New member
InvisiBill said:
How exactly did you wire the IC pump to test it? I could tell the Sy was acting funny when my IC pump died, but it didn't cause any major malfunctions. The coolant in the IC will still absorb some of the heat. It'll just get heatsoaked more quickly, since the hot coolant isn't passing through the heat exchanger. It was kinda sluggish, but nothing really seemed "wrong" with it... I'd say you have other problems too.

Had it on a scantool (Datamaster, Diacom, etc.) to see if anything else looks odd?

Actually, I wasn't exactly there at the time that the IC pump was hardwired. I believe that they directly connected it to the battery. I was a little concerned when I heard this, but they said that the IC pump is also 12V.

Okay so you had a your IC pump go out, what problems did it display (anything like spooling problems) or was it just early heat soak?

Any ideas as to what the other problems could be then?

To the best of my knowledge, no, it has not been connected to diacom or any scantool. It is not throwing a code now though.

thanks.
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
Could be quite a few problems causing it.

I would say the IC pump isn't a direct cause of it.

If your IC pump is crap - you are going to see higher intake temps which are going to cause more knock. More knock is going to limit boost if high enough.

I would check to make sure the wastegate is functional. I had a incident where my wastegate arm became disconnected and I was only able to get about 8# of boost in 3rd gear.

There are many other things to check. See if you can find an owner in your area with Datamaster/Diacom experience and have them take a look at it.
 

912091

New member
have you checked the boost control solenoid. Mine was doing the same thing until i replaced that. My ic pump is not working either and it still boosts fine ,but it knocks a little under heavy acceleration.
 
Top