Friends New Typhoon

BADAZGN

New member
My buddy just picked up a 92 Red Typhonn, with 59K on it. What are the first performances mods he should do? Thanks

Matthew
 

LBoogie

Boost Addict
Re: Friends New Typhoon

Did he buy it from a guy around Leesburg, VA? If so, I went and looked at it and another black one he was selling. That red one was clean, he actually tried to sell me both of them...at the same time, told me if I gave him 25k I could have both :rotf: needless to say I didn't have that kind of money at the time.

Anyway, a good place to start would be giving it a good tune up (plugs, wires, cap/rotor) and make sure its running good before doing any mods. Hope he enjoys it!
 

kwick6

Donating Member
Re: Friends New Typhoon

Do a tuneup, new plugs , wires , cap / rotor.

Then upgrade to a walbro fuel pump (racetronix wiring harness is ideal), and a AFPR.
Upgrade to a Johnson intercooler pump and make sure that has a good flow, take off the cap and look to see if the water swirls in the neck when system is full.

Get datamaster and a laptop.

See if the truck has any problems running stock before doing any mods, as they will just amplify the problem. Get an aftermarket boost gauge , as the stock is not accurate.

Then depending on the type of goals, I'd go with a PTE turbo/DP kit and higher stall torque converter. Get a chip and 3 bar map sensor, alky kit is nice too.

Also try and add a trans cooler of some type, either in the pan like the derale or mount one behind the grill.

A Gilbert propshaft is a great mod to do at anytime as well. Check out my website, and contact me via email or phone and I'd be glad to help with ideas for the truck.

later,
 

BADAZGN

New member
Re: Friends New Typhoon

LBoogie said:
Did he buy it from a guy around Leesburg, VA? If so, I went and looked at it and another black one he was selling. That red one was clean, he actually tried to sell me both of them...at the same time, told me if I gave him 25k I could have both :rotf: needless to say I didn't have that kind of money at the time.

Anyway, a good place to start would be giving it a good tune up (plugs, wires, cap/rotor) and make sure its running good before doing any mods. Hope he enjoys it!

Actaully we picked it up in Norfolk, down next to Va Beach. Does the guy in Leesburg still have them for sale? Do you have any contact info? Thanks.


A tune up is of course on the list. I am new to the SY/TY world so I am not sure where to start, or what parts. Sounds pretty much the same recipes as the GN's. Just need to get familiar with a new set-up.
Thanks for your help,
Matthew
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Friends New Typhoon

BADAZGN said:
Sounds pretty much the same recipes as the GN's. Just need to get familiar with a new set-up.

GN's and SyTy have some major differences when it comes to modding (especially with the stock turbo). MAP vs MAF, Feedback boost control vs Open loop, as well as the SyTy flaws which almost require a scan tool (non tolerant bottom end, Undersized wastegate and actually needing back pressue in the exhaust) Gutting the cat and adjusting the wastegate rod (or bleeder valve) is recipe for a blown motor in a SyTy.
 

LBoogie

Boost Addict
Re: Friends New Typhoon

BADAZGN said:
Actaully we picked it up in Norfolk, down next to Va Beach. Does the guy in Leesburg still have them for sale? Do you have any contact info? Thanks.


A tune up is of course on the list. I am new to the SY/TY world so I am not sure where to start, or what parts. Sounds pretty much the same recipes as the GN's. Just need to get familiar with a new set-up.
Thanks for your help,
Matthew

I think he may have sold the black one, I don't know about the red one. It had 58k on it when I saw it, I'll see if I can dig up a phone number or something, but it was over a year ago so...wierd how it was same year, same color, about the same miles, in the same state.
 
Top