Electronic Boost Controlers? Which is best?

Electronic Boost Controlers? Which is best?


  • Total voters
    13

tyndago

New member
Beavis said:
279 times viewed and no one else has any info or expierence? I.

I have tried nearly all of them. Different cars, different setups.

The best is the simpliest. None of them work that well.

They should be called BOOST GUESSERS... because thats about as close to actual boost control you get - just a guess.

HKS suck except the EVC EZ. The others fail blow up. Setting them up is a pain.

Apex/ Blitz - others lots of features- most people have not a clue on how to use them.

Greddy Profec. Not even close on my old setup.

Manual knob - about the best you can get. Keep the lines short.

The guys from Sport Compact Car have tried about them all. They go with either a manual knob, or Dave liked the Power Enterprise one. Boost control and gage in one package. One of the reasons why I had RB become a distributor fot PE - as I liked some of the product. Too bad PE was a hassle to deal with and we no longer carry them.
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
tyndago said:
Beavis said:
279 times viewed and no one else has any info or expierence? I.

I have tried nearly all of them. Different cars, different setups.

The best is the simpliest. None of them work that well.

They should be called BOOST GUESSERS... because thats about as close to actual boost control you get - just a guess.

HKS suck except the EVC EZ. The others fail blow up. Setting them up is a pain.

Apex/ Blitz - others lots of features- most people have not a clue on how to use them.

Greddy Profec. Not even close on my old setup.

Manual knob - about the best you can get. Keep the lines short.

The guys from Sport Compact Car have tried about them all. They go with either a manual knob, or Dave liked the Power Enterprise one. Boost control and gage in one package. One of the reasons why I had RB become a distributor fot PE - as I liked some of the product. Too bad PE was a hassle to deal with and we no longer carry them.

>>>The best is the simpliest. None of them work that well.

They should be called BOOST GUESSERS... because thats about as close to actual boost control you get - just a guess<<<

i noticed your list didnt include the innovative unit....

beleive me we have absolutley no guessing with this setup. it is dead on.

hoover uses it also.

I have no reason to even think about trying or looking at anything else.

And it also ties into the whole launch setup perfectly... 1 circuit for launch boost, rev limiter, and line locks.

once you start making to much power you can have a dfi gen7 control the ramp rate and boost for each gear. it doesnt get any better than that!
ed
 

Daron

Active member
tyndago said:
Beavis said:
279 times viewed and no one else has any info or expierence? I.


Manual knob - about the best you can get. Keep the lines short.

.

Yes.. I would have to agree. Though I dont have the experience you do with testing lots of different types of controllers.
I have a turbosmart external wastegate and a manual "knob" control and it works rather well on my setup. I am not sure the benefits of an electronic fancy dancy controller would be worth the extra cash for my situation. I guess if I wanted more control I would try and get the stock ecm to control the external, but thats another project...
I did mess around with the stock turbo setup and tried various ECM boost control hacks suggested by Green and managed to get the stock setup to control boost very well, with a straight thru exhaust etc....
 

bezerk

New member
i wonder why people don''t use Ramcharger that often on SyTy's.
It''s a cheaper electronic boostcontroller, uses the stock boost-solenoid, and is being used with perfect results with GN's.

it has all the functions we need, and yet simple and cheap.

i got one laying around, prolly gonna use it...
 

THEMADTYPH00N

Active member
bezerk said:
i wonder why people don''t use Ramcharger that often on SyTy's.
It''s a cheaper electronic boostcontroller, uses the stock boost-solenoid, and is being used with perfect results with GN's.

it has all the functions we need, and yet simple and cheap.

i got one laying around, prolly gonna use it...


Can it be used with an external gate?
 

bezerk

New member
THEMADTYPH00N said:
bezerk said:
i wonder why people don''t use Ramcharger that often on SyTy's.
It''s a cheaper electronic boostcontroller, uses the stock boost-solenoid, and is being used with perfect results with GN's.

it has all the functions we need, and yet simple and cheap.

i got one laying around, prolly gonna use it...


Can it be used with an external gate?

Good question.. as i read some stories about keeping the stock boostcontrol of the ECM, controlling the ext. wastegate, but it takes a lot of tuning. so it might be done, altough it would take some time to get it working, and i doubt this is worth all the time and effort.
 
Top