Edelbrock water pump

apun

New member
Hi,

I just installed the Edelbrock water pump and noticed there is a big threaded hole on top of the waterpump. I take it I'm supposed to plug this hole up. What size/thread bolt is it?

Thanks,
Alex
 

V

Donating Member
IIRC, it was 1/2" NPT. Might want to chase the threads
with a tap. I ruined a $5 aluminum plug because I figured Edelbrock
did it already. :evil: BTW, easier to remove the shavings before the
pump is installed.
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
V,

I was going to get one of these pumps - haven't bought yet. Where did U get an Aluminum pipe plug ? I wonder if we have the same problem w the Stewart pump ? That appears to be the only other option.
 

ABLITZ

Damn Yankee
got one for my stewart water pump at autozone.any parts store should have em.i didnt have to chase the treads on my stage two,just put some teflon tape on it and that was it.
 

E-Rue

New member
i installed one today, and your absolutely correct about the threaded hole in the top. i went to ACE hardware and bought a 1/2" pipe plug, and when i gooped it and started turning it into the hole i realized it became REALLY hard to turn very quickly. at first i thought i had crossthreaded it, but it was going down with every turn. i only turned it in about 3/8" cause i thought i would ruin the threads with the amount of pressure i was having to put on it to turn it. it sealed fine, but i think your right about it needing the threads chased. if i had it to do over again, id chase the threads (before i installed it) and then use an anodized aluminum pipe plug that matches all my braided stainless lines and fittings.

e
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
Edelbrock H2O Pump

Edelbrock H2O Pump

E,

I don't think an Alum plug will be available at an AP or a Hardware store.

I see them in the Earls' catalog - maybe Summit or Jegs can get it ? Where did U buy it ? What's the NPT thread size ?
 

V

Donating Member
Lynn D. Brown said:
Where did U get an Aluminum pipe plug ?

I got mine locally. Like Ablitz mentioned, they're not that hard to find.
Summit's brand is cheaper than Aeroquip or Earl's.

4 for $7.50
SUM-G1488B (blue), SUM-G1488R (red).
 

E-Rue

New member
i got a brass one at ACE.

the fancy blue aluminum ones come from summitracing. ill get some later when i order something cause i dont want to pay a bunch of shipping and handling for a silly plug.

e
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
Edelbrock WP - Hole

Edelbrock WP - Hole

Hey Guys,

I just bought the Edelbrock pump and I'm also installing a Mechanical Temp guage Probe. At first I was looking at putting it in the plug on the front of the Int Man. But then I realized I had to buy a plug for this water pump anyway, so I decided to put the probe in this water pump hole.

The probe seems to clear everything in the pump, so does anybody see any problem w putting the Temp. Probe there ?

I'm also having trouble fitting one of those chrome swivel Thermostat housings next to the Int. Man. So, I guess I'll have to grind a little metal away on the Int. Man.
 

myclone

Donating Member
E-RUE said:

Two types of pipe threads/plugs/fittings available. Tapered and non tapered (of which Ive never seen BTW).

If you got a tapered plug then your fine (yes, I know... You would enjoy a plug of ANY type :p :lol: ).

I learned to chase any threads on all the "cookie cutter" after market parts after dicking up the threads on my trans cooler. Cookie cutter parts are anything made by edelbrock, B&M, weiand etc that churn them out by the thousands. Better quality manufacturers know how to operate a tap/die but you pay for that quality in higher price too so its a trade off.

Enough rambling.
 

bigtime

Sy-Ty Builder
You shouldn't use teflon tape on aluminum. Two pieces of aluminum
together will try to 'gall' Make sure the threads are clean and Put them
together with liquid teflon. Always use lube on aluminum and stainless
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
Edelbrock WP

Edelbrock WP

Bob and Guys,

I always like to use the Antisieze paste on Al threads to avoid the bind that U were talking about.

I think all NPT threads R only tapered. Non-Tapered threads are Bolt threads. If U put a bolt in an NPT connection - it will leak. I'm not sure if the thread sizes R the same, so don't know if it will even screw in.
 

myclone

Donating Member
Re: Edelbrock WP

Re: Edelbrock WP

Lynn D. Brown said:
Bob and Guys,

I always like to use the Antisieze paste on Al threads to avoid the bind that U were talking about.

FWIW... Anti sieze makes a lousy sealant.

I think all NPT threads R only tapered. Non-Tapered threads are Bolt threads. If U put a bolt in an NPT connection - it will leak. I'm not sure if the thread sizes R the same, so don't know if it will even screw in.

Two types of pipe threads exist. Tapered and non tapered.......... While thumbing through a catalog at work (Swagelok I think) I saw a listing for them. Dunno what non tapered pipe fittings are for but they obviously exist since you can buy em.

NPT threads are WAY diff from SAE bolt threads unless you acquire some special thread pitch on the bolt. Then it still wont work if the threads in the recieving part are tapered.

All I have left to say on the subject is experience is an excellent teacher... I now chase ALL threads on anything thats made by the likes of edelbrock or any of thier companies (as ugly as their valve covers are theres no way they can make every part correctly... Do they actually sell any of those covers? EWWWW!!). Anyway, chase the threads with the correct pipe tap and be done with it or dont and you have a good chance of galling up the threads, having to drill the part out, retap the threads, buy another fitting, and finally start all over again. I think I'll just use K.I.S.S.
 
Top