Falco,
You win the prize. The problem was a broken wire at the connecter that plugs into the DRAC on the back (front?) of the ECM. I've had the ECM pulled out for a while because I've been messing around with different custom chips. I guess the speedo wire was the shortest and was under some tension as the ECM was flopping around during many launches and WOT blasts.
Anyway, I started looking at the ECM after the speedo died (because it was easy to look laying on the floor) and found a broken wire. I wasn't sure what that wire was for, but after checking the wiring drawing in the shop manual, I found that the light blue / black stripe wire was the connection that drives the speedo.
That was the easy part. I could not get the little metal connector out of the plastic plug housing. After a lot of different approaches, I finally went to Radio Shack and bought a real fine point soldering iron and was able to solder the broken wire to the connector, without removing it from the plastic plug.
Sooo, I'm back on the road knowing how fast I'm going. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. The lesson learned for me is to support the ECM when it's pulled out of the dash so the wires don't get stressed. Later.
Howard