Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

JSM

Active member
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

I love jeff like everyone else ( maybe more than you know, hehe ) , but why were the js arms even mentioned in this thread ? .

I love you also in a Normal way though.

Reason I posted is because some where asking me about my a arms, and I was worried, etc.
Tryed to explain the differences as best and neutral as I could.
 

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

I love you also in a Normal way though.

Reason I posted is because some where asking me about my a arms, and I was worried, etc.
Tryed to explain the differences as best and neutral as I could.


That's the vibe I was getting, that not all aftermarket control arms are created equal, and therefore may not experience the same problems. I'm sure RPM will figure something out- heck, they might even like to see the arm to improve on the design for in the future. Part of the R&D of a product is failure analysis :tup:
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

shit , i started the stock arm swap revolution and just recently did the rpm arms to save the extra weight . i hope it was a wise choice . people have been running them for years so far , so im not really worried .

This just jumped out at me, I don't know if it makes a difference but these arms are one of the very first (there were 10 sets made, I believe, in the first run) from RPM. It appears they have since reinforced the lower arms, but I can't say for sure.
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

So in other words if your set were in the first batch of arts made, they could have been considered in the prototype stage still? Then the second design, or the current ones are the corrected version based off the testing of your set(s).

I'm not hating on anyone. And do not accuse me of that. This is my opinion in which I am trying to see both sides and not lean on any which person. I've only seen one aftermarket a-arm set on a truck in person, and I think they were the very first set made by Jeff(I could be wrong). They looked nice, and that I know of are still in good condition on a running truck. But you've got to really ask this. How many kits of these have been sold, and are actually in use? Now, what's the failure %? AND, what is a acceptable failure % on parts like this? The only way to figure that out would be to take every person who has bought them(and actually uses them..) and take their arms and find out if they are still "correct." Because what if this turns out to be the one and only case? Or if others who have made arms have one person have some type of failure with their arms and everyone slits his throat too.

Because of the worry of a future like this on aftermarket a-arms is why I've stuck with the stock setup. But like I said above, even from the factory they factor in a % for failure. Granted, that % would be smaller due to the number of units sold/made. But not everything is perfect. And because there are not a lot of these sold by any of the arm makers on here, the % is going to be a lot higher just based on no real long term testing. Remember the auto makers have million dollar machines that simulate road conditions for long term testing, and then build the final. We have to rely on ourself in this group to test things like this.

I'm pretty sure over the years people have had problems with a stock arm bending at some point somewhere. Either it be in a normal S truck or one of ours. So to just jump right off saying its a bad product is a little harsh without further details, and at least a response from the person who made them. (and to say they haven't replied is wrong, its a weekend when this was posted.. Not a lot happens on here on weekends..)
 

sy#2716

SyTy 4 Life
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

Tim is right i have one of the first set made by jeff on my truck I have been driving it and beating on it pretty good. Just looked at everything the other day and everything looks like it did the day i put them on over 5 years ago.
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

JJ any update?

Yes. Spoke to a tech at RPM this afternoon and have consequently emailed back and forth with Mike.

These arms were in the first run (as I stated), and Mike told me that since then, as I suspected, the design was changed to include a reinforcing gusset on the ball joint plate to prevent this issue from occuring.

Once I am able to remove the arms, RPM is going to repair/update or replace the arms to the new design with the gusset (for whatever it costs me to ship the arms back to them).

On the whole, I'm still ticked my truck is broken but I'm happy with the way this is being handled and I'm confident that the updated arm design will eliminate this problem.
 

2500avalanche

Well-known member
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

You know, it is nice that RPM is standing behind its product and fixing it. It says a lot about the company. A lot of companies would have said "F-U!"
That is why I am getting my exhaust from them. Great service.:tup:
 
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

You know, it is nice that RPM is standing behind its product and fixing it. It says a lot about the company. A lot of companies would have said "F-U!"
That is why I am getting my exhaust from them. Great service.:tup:

X2 I have had nothing but great service and great products from mike. And he's always ready to help when i have questions. :tup:
 

Try Me

New member
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

...I wonder what would happen to the manufacturer if a failure of a part like this caused a serious injury/fatal accident, and wasn't covered by adequate product-liability insurance? If he/they had any assets, the attorneys would take/get them all...
.

Thats why you incorporate, your personal/family assets can not be touched.

I could definetly see where an extra gusset would be required for strength, Id like to see some pics of before and after the modification/new and old designs.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

Yes. Spoke to a tech at RPM this afternoon and have consequently emailed back and forth with Mike.

These arms were in the first run (as I stated), and Mike told me that since then, as I suspected, the design was changed to include a reinforcing gusset on the ball joint plate to prevent this issue from occuring.

Once I am able to remove the arms, RPM is going to repair/update or replace the arms to the new design with the gusset (for whatever it costs me to ship the arms back to them).

On the whole, I'm still ticked my truck is broken but I'm happy with the way this is being handled and I'm confident that the updated arm design will eliminate this problem.


I'm happy to hear that the vendor is going to resolve the issue, of course the issue shouldn't have been there in the first place, but at least they are handling it properly.

it is nice to see vendors stand behind their product and work, it is a shame so many vendors can't do the same thing.
 

2kwik4u

Resident slow guy
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

WOW, just simply WOW. Glad to hear nobody was injured, and no additional parts were broken because of the failure.

Having been heavily involved in the testing and construction of some of the first arms ever produced (to my knowledge anyway) I can tell you that this problem was seen to occur in the VERY FIRST prototype set that was made and road tested. I'm glad to see that RPM is standing behind thier products, but at the same time I hope they are learning from it and changing the design/material specs accordingly. I'd hate to seem them simply replace the arms with another set,and the same thing happen again (or to another person using the same design). Not that a recall would be in order, and I don't intend to imply that, but I think this would be cause for all owners of this arm design to at least walk out, pull the front tires off the trucks, and thoroughly inspect their arms.
 

cloneman315

Active member
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

that was going to be my next mod,but at the speeds I am going I am a little scared now,but maybe the later newer designs are better.And I also have had great luck with mike I am sure he will take care of it.
 
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

How many were made like this? 10 sets? Where are they now? At the very least they should be re-called and have some sort of non-destructive testing performed on them. Liquid pen, mag particle...something.
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

that was going to be my next mod,but at the speeds I am going I am a little scared now,but maybe the later newer designs are better.And I also have had great luck with mike I am sure he will take care of it.

There were 10 sets made in the original design

You can see here, circled in red, the gusset plate that has been added to the newer arms. My original style arms are below and circled in blue is the area where the failure occured and the gusset has been added.
11-100-0145_l.jpg
 

1BADV6

Donating Member
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

How does your upper shock mounts look after all this?

thanks,
 

THEMADTYPH00N

Active member
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

i feel safe with the budget coilover now.

Yes you should feel much safer having the weight of your truck riding on a shock mount & a-arm that was never meant to be loaded in that way. I haven't heard of any failures yet, but I didn't hear of any on the aftermarket a arms till this point either. Just because the factory arm is big and heavy, doesn't mean its any stronger in the way you are using it.
 

ghettosled

SYTY SUPERSTORE
Re: Can't catch a break - broke an a-arm

Couple things:

This issue ONLY applies to the first 10 kits. We have sold over 100 kits, so unless you are one of the first 10 customers then it doesnt apply to you!

Of the first 10 kits, two have had this problem. The first one is what prompted us to issue a voluntary re-call. There were emails and a thread posted on syty.net in regards to it. We told people to send back the lowers and we would either update and re-powdercoat your existing arms or swap them out with a new set. We took and are taking responsibility and standing behind our product because safety should always be a number one consern. It is also important to note, that both customers have openly acknowlegded the real reason for failure, and it wasnt because they were just cruising down the road. We cant prevent people from trying to catch air over speedbumps, or go offroading etc. You dont expect 24" wheels with low profile tires to handle 6" deep pot holes you do? Both failures were resulted from foreign impact. While we can't make them bullet proof, we did address a potential weakpoint after the first 10 sets and have taken steps to improve the design and keep people safe.

In conclusion, our suspension kits are currently in use by MOST of the worlds fastest trucks, and expirience more rigorous testing and abuse then any other coil over kit previously or currently available.

My truck pictured below has a set of standard lower control arms. Just like everyone else. No additional re-inforcing, etc. It has hit the ground so hard after several of these wheelies there is a thick coat of rubber on the lower crossmember from scraping the track. And it continues to hang in there just fine. I dont think anyone else has ever put another coil over kit to this kind of test.

ghettoirwin2.jpg


There are pro's and con's to everything. We do our best to provide the highest quality products and service. While we are not your only choice for SYTY products, we strive to be the best. Constructive criticism is always welcome and appreciated. However, sarcastic comments and remarks only end up hurting the community, especially when they come from moderators. The same people that want your money to contribute to the community are the same ones taking cheap shots...

No wonder the Nationals are a complete waste of time!!!!!!! [edit: should have clarified and singled out all the people who ruin it]
 
Last edited:
Top