Build VS buy debate

VintageUpgrades

S10 Blazaholic
Re: Build VS buy debate

I work on cars in my shop here do pretty much everything; body, paint, engine work, electrical.I try not to get in to trans work and I don't have a machine shop.So I can't pay someone to work on my cars really wouldn't look good for me. Long story short I get burned out sometimes and the smallest job on one of my older cars just seems like the biggest pain to me. All this being said if I hit the powerball I would buy all kinds of s*** done.So if u don't have the skills,don't have the tools, have the money and buy a done car I don't see a problem with it.

That's me as well. Work on 60s and 70s cars all day, every day. Come the afternoon or day off, I don't want to see a car or a tool. It was all I could stand to spend a Sunday tearing down the Ty to get ready for paint. 10 years ago it was a different story. Having my hobby as my job takes some of the fun out of it.

I can see why many people choose the checkbook build. You have to know which vendors to trust and which parts work together. If you don't, your checkbook better be water-cooled. You are going to do several things twice. I am still amazed in this day that there are still folks that pass of crap as gold, or buyers that do absolutely no research before buying. For example: I had a customer bring in a 67 "Eleanor" Mustang for charging problems. In the parking lot, the car looked pretty good. Under the shop lights it looked worse. On the lift, it was horrible. It should have cost about 45-50k to build this car (including the car purchase). The customer paid 104k. This serves as a warning to the guys that pay for a build to check on the car regularly and do your research.
 

SEL777

One of 101
Re: Build VS buy debate

IMO I like to work on my cars (my old 79 Z-28, 87 Formula 350, the Typhoon). I've learned a lot doing so, and saving the expense of paid labor. I too feel the sense of pride in taking at a task I've never attempted before, and getting through it. Since I've had the Ty...I've searched and searched for the right parts, and here on SyTy.net for the threads on how to do what I'm attempting to do before trying anything. That being said, and I agree with many previous posts, I know my limits, and there are many things I KNOW I will have to pay for.

The first time I drove the Ty after finishing the JS A-arm, coilvers, all new ball joints, solid tie rod sleeves, new S.B bushings, and F-body brakes, was nearly as fun as my first ride after putting in a new engine in my old Z.
 

Ty 1885

Member
Re: Build VS buy debate

I like to work on my own stuff (Engines, Suspentions, Brakes and electrical. NOT paint or body!)
That is why i bought my TY with like new paint and body.
I'm too anal, everything has to be my way.

I cant wait for human cloning, so that i can built my perfect wife (Likes to work on my cars, cooks my fav. meals, wont age, stayes thin!) you know PERFECT;)
 

Jimmy

Banned
Re: Build VS buy debate

I'm a homeowner,but I didn't build my house.:dunno:

I think that if you are a douchebag,then you're a douchebag.I don't care if you built it,bought it,found it,whatever.

Don't be a douche.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: Build VS buy debate

Who cares what other people think? Do what best suits you or makes the most sense for your situation.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just sell a project because you don't have the skills to complete it...like BigSmoosh did.


yeah that, or moving to another country :D

at least we each had an excuse, sorta.. :tup:
 

Maxtor

New member
Re: Build VS buy debate

Buy it done. Just makes more financial sense. Take it from me. I have a garage full of parts that I don't have time to install and wish list of like 20k in parts. You can buy an awesome truck if you wait. Then again 10 sec. trucks don't pop up for sale a lot which is why I'm building. I sourced the cheapest Sy I could find so I could dump money on the build.

I kept pushing deeper and deeper into spending on one of my original Syclones doing bolt on's and chip burning (I am old). One day I sat and calculated what it would take to build a bowtie engine, and do to rest of the modifications to keep the truck running and safe. I then had a chance to buy a proven, documented 10 sec truck that was for sale at about 50% of the cost of building one from scratch. Seemed like a no-brainer.

The short block was built very well, but it did require a lot of other improvements to get it to its current state. I do most of the work myself but have been very fortunate to have a friend like John Gerber who has coached me along the way and always been there to help me through tough spots. He also introduced me to his friend who does all of his fabrication work.... and he is not only good at what he does but an incredible person as well. Knowing people like John and his friend Bill make all of the difference in the world when it comes to enjoying a vehicle like this. Time and knowledge constraints sometimes inhibit my ability to do certain things, but I am always in the middle of what is being done if I don't do the work myself.

Like John said, if you can you should buy a truck that has most of what you want unless you just really, really enjoy wrenching and spending money that you will not get a payback on during resale. Do upgrades/maintenance from there and you will still have plenty to work on. It is extremely difficult and extremely expensive to pull all the pieces of a well built truck together and get a combination that both works and is reliable enough to meet your needs.
 
Top