92WhiteTyphoon
New member
Hi,
I just bought a '92 Typhoon with a freshly rebuilt, modified engine. It has a chrome aftermarket timing cover on it that leaks oil, regardless of how much RTV is applied to it. I bought an original GM timing cover and gasket set to fix this problem. Before I embark on this project, I'm wondering if anyone with experience can point out anything I need to watch out for? Is it as simple as:
- Remove fan shroud,
- Remove fan assembly
- Put a pan under the water pump to catch coolant
- Disconnect radiator-to-water pump hose
- Loosen the belt tensioner and remove the accesory drive belt
- Loosen the bolts that attach the water pump to the engine block and water pump pulley
- Remove water pump and water pump pulley
- Loosen bolts that attach timing cover to engine block and remove timing cover
- Scrape existing gasket off of engine block where timing cover seals to the block (shouldn't be too hard - engine only has about 1,600 miles on it)
- Attach new gasket and seal to block, then mount new timing cover and tighten bolts
- Put everything back on in reverse order
What I just described is what I *think* I need to do based upon a visual inspection under the hood. Professional mechanics want 5-7 hours of labor (I think AllData said it was 5.7 hours?). So, maybe I'm missing something here? Doing it myself, I'm thinking it would take 5 hours, so a pro should eb able to do it in half that time. If it really is a six-hour job for a pro, it'll probably take me 10 hours!
Also - do I need to buy a gasket set that connects the water pump to the block on both sides, or do you just take care of sealing it with RTV silcone?
How long should I expect this to take? I do have an air impact socket wrench, which should speed things a bit.
Thanks for any input on this!
- Howard
I just bought a '92 Typhoon with a freshly rebuilt, modified engine. It has a chrome aftermarket timing cover on it that leaks oil, regardless of how much RTV is applied to it. I bought an original GM timing cover and gasket set to fix this problem. Before I embark on this project, I'm wondering if anyone with experience can point out anything I need to watch out for? Is it as simple as:
- Remove fan shroud,
- Remove fan assembly
- Put a pan under the water pump to catch coolant
- Disconnect radiator-to-water pump hose
- Loosen the belt tensioner and remove the accesory drive belt
- Loosen the bolts that attach the water pump to the engine block and water pump pulley
- Remove water pump and water pump pulley
- Loosen bolts that attach timing cover to engine block and remove timing cover
- Scrape existing gasket off of engine block where timing cover seals to the block (shouldn't be too hard - engine only has about 1,600 miles on it)
- Attach new gasket and seal to block, then mount new timing cover and tighten bolts
- Put everything back on in reverse order
What I just described is what I *think* I need to do based upon a visual inspection under the hood. Professional mechanics want 5-7 hours of labor (I think AllData said it was 5.7 hours?). So, maybe I'm missing something here? Doing it myself, I'm thinking it would take 5 hours, so a pro should eb able to do it in half that time. If it really is a six-hour job for a pro, it'll probably take me 10 hours!
Also - do I need to buy a gasket set that connects the water pump to the block on both sides, or do you just take care of sealing it with RTV silcone?
How long should I expect this to take? I do have an air impact socket wrench, which should speed things a bit.
Thanks for any input on this!
- Howard